At University Hospital, we offer rehabilitation for patients recovering from a burn, in the Clark Burn Center and in the Rehabilitation Unit. All patients will be evaluated by our physical and occupational therapists to determine their current level of function.
Offered at this office location:University Hospital
750 E. Adams St.
Syracuse, NY 13210
The therapy team will aim to maximize independence by improving range of motion, functional mobility, ambulation, and the patient's ability to perform daily activities such as dressing and bathing. Our therapy staff works closely with physicians, nursing, and other staff members to ensure patients are receiving comprehensive care during the inpatient stay.
Our program includes the following:
- Comprehensive medical management
- Self-care Program
- Leisure education
- Case management
- Therapeutic Exercise and Functional Mobility/Activities Program
- Psycho-social needs assessment
- Patient/family counseling and support
- Splinting/garment care
- Spiritual support
Patients are able to continue in our outpatient program (link) once discharged from the University Hospital or the Rehabilitation Unit.
The Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Department at University Hospital offers a comprehensive therapy program for individuals who have an injury from a burn, once discharged from hospital care. This program provides services for both adults and children. Individualized treatment programs include the following:
- Therapeutic exercises for range of motion and strengthening
- Splinting for increasing and maintaining joint mobility
- Activities of daily living training
- Functional mobility training
- Scar management, including pressure garments, inserts, and wraps during scar healing
Our staff of therapists works closely as part of the Clark Burn Center team.
A physician's referral is required for examination and treatment within this program.
Burn Survivors Support GroupThis community support group is open to all survivors of burn.
Meets 1st Thursday of every month
University Hospital, Room 6408
Contact 464-6083 for more information regarding Burn Support Services.