Phone: 315 464-4750
Joseph Fullmer, MD PhD, Assistant Director
Phone: 315 464-5739
Kathleen Sayles, MS, Manager
Phone: 315 464-7147
The Neuropathology Laboratory offers diagnostic services to aid in the identification of diseases affecting the brain, spinal cord, muscle, and nerves. Our neuropathologists work closely with clinicians to provide the most accurate diagnostic information and determine the best course of treatment for their patients.
Biopsies are performed on specimens taken during surgical procedures as well as post mortem evaluations. Special procedures performed at our laboratory ensure that the most complete diagnostic information is provided to referring physicians
Muscle BiopsyA comprehensive enzyme and immunohistochemical panel is used for evaluation of neuromuscular diseases, inflammatory myopathies, dystrophies and metabolic and storage disorders. Electron microscopy and FISH are also available to ensure that the most accurate and comprehensive diagnostic information is provided to clinicians
Brain BiopsyA full range of consultation services are available for brain biopsy specimens including tumors and non-neoplastic disease, pituitary lesions, and other neurological disorders using immunohistochemical staining, molecular diagnostic testing, FISH studies, and molecular genetics screening.
AutopsyAutopsy brain biopsy services are available to provide a definitive diagnosis of neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, Corticobasal Degeneration, Progressive Supranuclear Palsy, and Vascular Dementia.
ConsultationOur board certified neuropathologists provide expert consultative services for the identification and diagnosis of neurologic disorders in adult and pediatric patients.
Ordering and Transport Instructions
Specimens and slides should be accompanied by a Surgical Pathology Requisition, complete clinical history and patient demographic information sent to:
Upstate Medical University
Department of Pathology UH 6803
750 East Adams Street
Syracuse, NY 13210
Special Instructions for Muscle Biopsies
- Place fresh specimen on a tongue blade or applicator stick, tied at both ends for orientation. Cover with saline moistened (not soaked) gauze. Do NOT immerse the specimen in saline or other liquid.
- Place the wrapped tissue in a specimen jar (one specimen per container)
- Label the container with patient’s name, DOB, specimen site, and date the specimen was obtained
- Insert the specimen container in a zip-lock bag and seal tightly
- Transport on ice (not dry ice).
- If courier service is required, please call (315)464-4460 to arrange pick up.