Orthopedic Nursing - 7A
Contact InformationJames Fitzgerald, RN, BSN
Patient Service Supervisor (PSS)
Tammy Andrzejczak, RN
Patient Service Leader Trainer (PSCT)
Our orthopedic nurses are on the cutting edge of orthopedics. The orthopedic unit is a challenging and fast paced, 26-bed surgical unit. The nursing staff provide high quality, patient-focused care to the following patient populations:
Total Joint Replacements
- Multi-level Fusions
Orthopedic Oncology Reconstructive Surgery
- Plastic (grafts, muscle flap)
Upstate is the regions Level One Trauma Center
- The RN leads the nursing team consisting of other RNs, LPNs, and hospital attendants. The nursing staff is supported by the unit secretarial team.
- There is close collaboration with Physicians, Physician Extenders, Social Work Services, Case Management, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy and Nutritional Services.
- All members of the team participate in daily discharge planning rounds which help coordi nate the transition of patients to home, rehabilitation centers or skilled nursing facilities.
- The nursing team is supported by a strong orthopedic leadership team consisting of the Patient Service Supervisor, Patient Service Director, Service Line Administrator and the Orthopedics Clinical Nurse Educator.
A Great Work Environment
- Computerized Nursing Documentation
- Computerized Physician Orders
- We strive to provide flexible and creative staffing patterns.
- Continued learning and career advancement is encouraged and supported. Orthopedic nursing is recognized as a professional specialty at University Hospital; certification/recertification is reimbursed.
- A satellite physical therapy gym is located on the floor.
- The orthopedic surgeons are internationally known and respected.