Doretta Royer 315 464-4833
John B. Fortune, M.D., named director of Trauma Services and Critical Care at University Hospital
SYRACUSE, N.Y.- John B. Fortune, M.D., has been appointed as
professor of surgery at SUNY Upstate Medical University and director of Trauma Services and Critical Care at University Hospital. His responsibilities include general surgery, trauma, critical care and burns.
Fortune is recognized for developing guidelines for trauma care and for advocating for the regionalization of trauma services. He is certified by the American Board of Surgery and the National Board of Medical Examiners.
Prior to joining SUNY Upstate, Fortune was professor and chair of the Division of General Surgery and director of the General Surgery Residency Program at the Southern Illinois University School of Medicine and director of the Southern Illinois Trauma Center in Springfield.
Fortune received his medical degree from Duke University Medical
School in 1975. He is the recipient of several awards, particularly in the area of excellence in teaching, and serves as a reviewer for Journal of Trauma and Current Surgery.
Fortune resides in Fayetteville.
Search Upstate News
Upstate in the News
- New York Teen Donates Kidney to Younger Brother: 'This Was My Chance to Save Him'
- Syracuse teen receives kidney transplant from older brother
WTVH CBS5 Syracuse
- Inside the Mind of the Munich Mass Killer
- How 'Determined Danielle' became president of Upstate Medical University
Syracuse Post Standard
- BRCA Gene Mutations May Influence Prostate Cancer Risk
Renal and Urology News
- Upstate Medical to use nearly $200,000 in NSF funding to fight Zika virus
Central New York Business Journal