Darryl Geddes 315 464-4828
Smucny named interim chair of SUNY Upstate family medicine department
SYRACUSE, N.Y. — John J. Smucny, M.D., associate professor at SUNY Upstate Medical University, has been appointed interim chairman of SUNY Upstate’s Department of Family Medicine. Smucny succeeds Lorne Becker, M.D., who headed the Department of Family Medicine since 1995.
Smucny, who joined the SUNY Upstate faculty in 1996, also serves as director of the undergraduate division in the Department of Family Medicine.
A family practice physician with an office in Syracuse, Smucny has served as a family practice physician with Womack Army Medical Center in Fort Bragg, N.C., and the 121st Evacuation Hospital in Seoul, South Korea.
His research and medical analysis have been published widely in numerous journals and he has been awarded more than $700,000 in grants to study and develop family medicine faculty development programs.
Board certified in Family Medicine, Smucny received his medical degree from Case Western Reserve University in 1988. He also holds a master’s degree in public administration from Syracuse University’s Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs.
Smucny resides in Manlius.
Search Upstate News
Upstate in the News
- Parents urged to practice crib safety
News 10 Now
- Upstate Medical University opens new Neuroscience Research Building Monday
WSYR TV9 Syracuse
- Nosebleeds seldom need invasive treatment
- Cuomo: SUNY Upstate Medical University in Syracuse, other upstate schools win $2 million NIH grant
- NIH announced $2 million grant
News 10 Now
- SUNY Upstate Medical University leads six-school partnership that wins $2 million grant
Syracuse Post Standard