Doretta Royer 315 464-4833
Ernest Scalzetti, M.D., named endowed professor at SUNY Upstate
Manlius resident Ernest M. Scalzetti, M.D., has been named the E. Robert Heitzman, M.D., Endowed Professor of Radiological Research in the Department of Radiology at SUNY Upstate Medical University.
Scalzetti earned a doctor of medicine degree cum laude in 1986 from the SUNY Upstate and his bachelor’s degree in 1982 from LeMoyne College. Scalzetti completed his residency at SUNY Upstate in 1990 and joined its faculty in 1991. He is certified by the National Board of Medical Examiners (1987) and the American Board of Radiology (1990).
“Dr. Scalzetti was chosen for this award because of his keen interest in radiology research, particularly in thoracic radiology, and because he is one of Dr. Heitzman’s protégés,” said John Cardella, M.D., professor and chairman of the Department of Radiology.
The endowed chair is named for Heitzman, who held numerous faculty appointments at SUNY Upstate during his 42-year career at the academic medical center, which began in 1957. Heitzman, who earned his medical degree from SUNY Upstate in 1951, retired in 1999 as a SUNY Distinguished Service Professor. He was an acclaimed researcher in the anatomy of the lung and its diseases and is the author of the classic text “The Lung: Radiologic Pathologic Correlations” (C.V. Mosby Co., 1973).
Search Upstate News
Upstate in the News
- Parents urged to practice crib safety
News 10 Now
- Upstate Medical University opens new Neuroscience Research Building Monday
WSYR TV9 Syracuse
- Nosebleeds seldom need invasive treatment
- Cuomo: SUNY Upstate Medical University in Syracuse, other upstate schools win $2 million NIH grant
- NIH announced $2 million grant
News 10 Now
- SUNY Upstate Medical University leads six-school partnership that wins $2 million grant
Syracuse Post Standard