Doretta Royer 315 464-4833
Ernest Scalzetti, M.D., named endowed professor at SUNY Upstate
Manlius resident Ernest M. Scalzetti, M.D., has been named the E. Robert Heitzman, M.D., Endowed Professor of Radiological Research in the Department of Radiology at SUNY Upstate Medical University.
Scalzetti earned a doctor of medicine degree cum laude in 1986 from the SUNY Upstate and his bachelor’s degree in 1982 from LeMoyne College. Scalzetti completed his residency at SUNY Upstate in 1990 and joined its faculty in 1991. He is certified by the National Board of Medical Examiners (1987) and the American Board of Radiology (1990).
“Dr. Scalzetti was chosen for this award because of his keen interest in radiology research, particularly in thoracic radiology, and because he is one of Dr. Heitzman’s protégés,” said John Cardella, M.D., professor and chairman of the Department of Radiology.
The endowed chair is named for Heitzman, who held numerous faculty appointments at SUNY Upstate during his 42-year career at the academic medical center, which began in 1957. Heitzman, who earned his medical degree from SUNY Upstate in 1951, retired in 1999 as a SUNY Distinguished Service Professor. He was an acclaimed researcher in the anatomy of the lung and its diseases and is the author of the classic text “The Lung: Radiologic Pathologic Correlations” (C.V. Mosby Co., 1973).
Search Upstate News
Upstate in the News
- New York Teen Donates Kidney to Younger Brother: 'This Was My Chance to Save Him'
- Syracuse teen receives kidney transplant from older brother
WTVH CBS5 Syracuse
- Inside the Mind of the Munich Mass Killer
- How 'Determined Danielle' became president of Upstate Medical University
Syracuse Post Standard
- BRCA Gene Mutations May Influence Prostate Cancer Risk
Renal and Urology News
- Upstate Medical to use nearly $200,000 in NSF funding to fight Zika virus
Central New York Business Journal