News from Upstate
Doretta Royer 315 464-4833
Annual convocation brings honors to Upstate employees
SYRACUSE, N.Y. — Upstate Medical University has honored twenty-one individuals, Key Bank and the Carol M. Baldwin family for distinguished service to the university. The recipient (place of residence in parenthesis) and their awards include:
• Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activities: Andras Perl, M.D., Ph.D., (Jamesville).
• Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching: Thomas L. Schwartz, M.D., (Onondaga).
• Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Professional Service: Donna L. Vavonese, (Bridgeport).
• Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Classified Service: Cheryl Allen (Camden); Angela Hill (Syracuse); Sharon Wiggins, R.N., (Liverpool).
• President’s Award for Excellence and Leadership in Research: David C. Amberg, Ph.D. (Tully); Wendy R. Kates, Ph.D. (Syracuse).
• President’s Award for Excellence in Basic Research by a Young Investigator: Jeffrey D. Amack Ph.D. (Manlius).
• President’s Award for Advancement of Affirmative Action: Rev. Terry Ruth Culbertson, M.D.I.V., B.C.C., C.T. (Syracuse).
• President’s Award for Excellence in Professional Service: Susan Shaw, M.S.N., P.N.P., A.N.P. (DeWitt).
• President’s Award for Excellence in Faculty Service: Rich O’Neill, Ph.D. (Syracuse).
• President’s Awards for Excellence in Teaching: Burk Jubelt, M.D., (Fayetteville); Ira H. Ames, Ph.D. (Fayetteville); Janet Ambrogne Sobczak, Ph.D. (Camillus); Carol Recker-Hughes, P.T., Ph.D., (Fayetteville); Martin C. Masarech, M.D., (Greene).
• President’s Awards for Outstanding Voluntary Faculty: Therese Wiley Dancks, Esq. (Bridgeport); Deborah L. Dill, R.T.R.M. (Manlius); Aamir Rasheed, M.D. (Vestal).
• President’s Award for Distinguished Service: David H. Northrup (Fayetteville).
• President’s Award for Excellence in Philanthropic Service, Individual: The Carol M. Baldwin Family (Camillus).
• President’s Award for Excellence in Philanthropic Service, Corporate: Key Bank
The presentation of awards at Upstate’s Fall Faculty Convocation Sept. 14, is an annual event that marks the beginning of the fall semester.
Search Upstate News
Upstate in the News
- Type 2 Diabetes in Youth Progresses Faster, More Aggressively Than in Adults, Even Under Optimal Treatment Conditions
American Diabetes Association
- May is Stroke Awareness Month
News 10 Now
- SUNY Upstate Medical University graduation Sunday
Syracuse Post Standard
- SEFCU donates $250,000 to Upstate Medical University
Central New York Business Journal
- State to fund $21 million energy efficiency upgrade at SUNY Upstate Medical University in Syracuse
- Doctors explain injuries, treatment and rehab of marathon victims
News 10 Now