Darryl Geddes 315 464-4828
University Hospital rededicates its Inter Faith Chapel Dec. 12
University Hospital’s Inter Faith Chapel will be rededicated in a ceremony Dec. 12. The ceremony will begin at 1:30 p.m. in the chapel, which is located on the first floor of the hospital.
The ceremony will include prayers, readings and remarks as well as acknowledgements of those who have supported the chapel throughout the years. University Hospital Chaplains the Rev. Gerald Shave and the Rev. Alfred Bebel will officiate, assisted by the Rev. Terry Culbertson, director of pastoral care at the Interreligious Council of CNY who serves as an adviser to the University Hospital pastoral care program.
As part of the ceremony, a new chapel keyboard will be unveiled. The keyboard is a gift from the Advocates for Upstate Medical University.
The chapel was originally dedicated when it opened in 1966. Since then it has been the site of various special events and holiday services, including several weddings. In November 2000, doctors and medical students arranged a wedding in the chapel for a man dying of cancer and his longtime companion.
The chapel, open 24 hours a day, offers patients, family, staff and students a place to reflect and pray. Organized services are held regularly and include Catholic mass, Protestant prayer service and Muslim Juma. Chapel services are also broadcast to all patient rooms.
Search Upstate News
Upstate in the News
- New York Teen Donates Kidney to Younger Brother: 'This Was My Chance to Save Him'
- Syracuse teen receives kidney transplant from older brother
WTVH CBS5 Syracuse
- Inside the Mind of the Munich Mass Killer
- How 'Determined Danielle' became president of Upstate Medical University
Syracuse Post Standard
- BRCA Gene Mutations May Influence Prostate Cancer Risk
Renal and Urology News
- Upstate Medical to use nearly $200,000 in NSF funding to fight Zika virus
Central New York Business Journal