Neuro-Ophthalmology and Headache
The Neuro-Ophthalmology division of the Departments of Neurology and Ophthalmology at Upstate Medical University bridges the fields of neurology and ophthalmology through diagnosis and management of adults and children with neurological disorders that affect vision and eye movements.
Not only do we provide the latest in neuro-ophthalmologic clinical care, but also we are actively engaged in clinical research. Our team consists of two full-time board certified, fellowship-trained neuro-ophthalmologists, a nurse, clinical research coordinator, medical office assistants, and administrative assistant.
Neuro-ophthalmology at Upstate is unique because of our comprehensive approach to diagnosis and treatment. To ensure a thorough evaluation, we work closely with experts in other disciplines including, neurosurgery, otolaryngology (ENT), and neuroradiology. State-of-the-art neuro-imaging provides accurate diagnosis for a full range of neuro-ophthalmologic problems. We also consult on patients with headaches and dizziness.
Luis J Mejico, MD
4th fl University Health Care Center
90 Presidential Plaza
Syracuse, NY 13202
Clinical Section Affiliations
- Neurology: Neuro-Ophthalmology and Headache
- Ophthalmology: Neuro-Ophthalmology
Research Programs and Affiliations
Education & Fellowships
- Fellowship: Johns Hopkins University, 2000, Neuro-Ophthalmology & Neuro-Otology
- Residency: Medstar-Georgetown Medical Center, 1999, Neurology
- MD: Univ. Catolica De Cordoba, Fac De Med, Argentina, 1993
- I direct the Neuro-Ophthalmology Unit and the Headache Clinic at University Hospital. I also consult on patients with dizziness.
- Clinical reasearch in various Neuro-Ophthalmic conditions such as idiopathic intracranial hypertension; as well as multiple sclerosis and headache syndromes.
Specialties & Certification
Diseases & Conditions Treated
- Brain Tumor
- Dizziness and Vertigo
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Myasthenia Gravis
- Optic Neuritis
- Pituitary Tumors
- Visual Field Defect
- Infusional Therapies
- Lumbar Puncture
- Neurologic Evaluation
- American Academy of Neurology (AAN), Fellow
- North American Neuro-Ophthalmology Society (NANOS), Fellow
- American Headache Society (AHS)
- American Neurological Association, Fellow
Current Hospital Privileges
- Upstate University Hospital
- VA Medical Center
Languages Spoken (Other Than English)
Link to PubMed (Opens new window. Close the PubMed window to return to this page.)
Clinical Profile Shortcut: http://www.upstate.edu/findadoc/mejicol
Faculty Profile Shortcut: http://www.upstate.edu/faculty/mejicol