Upstate University Hospital - Downtown Campus
750 East Adams Street
Syracuse, NY 13210
Map & directions
Phone: 315 464-5290
Fax: 315 464-5295
Name: Mary Lynn West, Fellowship Coordinator
The Nephrology Fellowship at SUNY Upstate Medical University focuses and prides itself in training strong clinicians who are ready to hit the ground running on completion of training. We consider invaluable the testimony of our former fellows, who have consistently given us feedback that they felt extremely well prepared working independently as a nephrologist on completion of their fellowship.
Our 2-year Fellowship program teaches the in-depth principles of renal physiology and pathophysiology. The divisions entire participates in the training of all fellows.
Clinical facilities include:
- A 26-station outpatient unit for hemodialysis
- CAPD/CCPD and home hemodialysis
- A 4 bed unit for inpatient hemodialysis
- A transplant program with about 40 transplants yearly
- Multiple specialty intensive care units including cardiothoracic surgery
- Stroke care
- Burn unit
- Complete nephropathology services.
Clinical training includes:
- Responsibility for acute and chronic hemodialysis
- Home hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis
- Medical aspects of transplantation
- Continuous renal replacement therapies
- Renal biopsy techniques
In addition, trainees are expected to participate in research activity during their training. This can be either laboratory or clinically based.
Trainees who have completed their fellowship will be experts in the evaluation and care of patients with all forms of renal derangement.
Program Title: Nephrology Fellowship Training Program
Program Sponsor: State University of New York
Fellowship training in Nephrology is a two-year program, and successful completion of this training will allow candidates to be eligible for certification examination in subspecialty of Nephrology by the American Board of Internal Medicine.
Curriculum: View Curriculum Objectives
To Apply: Individuals interested in applying to our fellowship program should apply through Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).