[Skip to Content]


Expand all

How do I get information on the status of my application?

All applications are processed through Upstate's Admissions Office. You may contact Admissions for updates at 315-464-4570. Applicants can also login to check the status of an application.

How many credit hours does the degree require?

The MPH degree requires a minimum of 42 credit hours.

How long will it take to complete the MPH degree?

On a full-time basis, the MPH is typically completed in 2 years. Part-time students must complete all degree requirements within 5 years of matriculation. We do not recommend students take more than 12 credits a semester because of the rigor of the courses. Completion of the degree is also dependent on the availability and timing of courses and upon the student's ability to complete the curriculum (full-time vs. part-time).

What undergraduate degrees best prepare for the MPH degree?

Because public health is a broad multi-disciplinary field, applicants to the program come from a diverse range of undergraduate degree programs. It is methodologically rooted in both medical and social sciences, but relies upon skills from other areas as well. Applicable undergraduate degree programs with relevance to public health include (but are not limited to):

- undergraduate public health or related programs (health education, community health)

- social & behavioral sciences (anthropology, economics, geography, policy studies or political science, psychology, public administration, sociology, social work)

- humanities (gender studies, history, human rights, international studies)

- business and finance, health services management

- clinical or biological sciences (biology, environmental science, food science and nutrition, nursing, pre-medicine)

- applied mathematics and statistics

- health care providers

Are there any pre-requisites required for the MPH degree?

Some prior undergraduate or graduate coursework in statistics and in a biological science are recommended, but not required.

Under what conditions is a waiver granted for the GRE?

If you have a graduate or professional degree (e.g. PhD, MA, MS, MD, JD, etc.) or are currently enrolled in an advanced degree program, you may seek to obtain a waiver of the GRE. The details and waiver information can be found on our website under: Admission Requirements.

What is the tuition for the MPH program?

MPH students' tuition charge will be at the prevailing SUNY Tuition & Fee Rates.

Does the Program provide graduate assistantships?

Graduate assistantships fluctuate with the availability of grant or other funding.  For financial aid information, please visit our Financial Aid Office

I am a PhD, MD, JD, (other) student and wish to pursue the MPH during my studies. What would this look like?

The Upstate Public Health website has examples of course of study for the PhD and MD students. We are working on establishing courses of study for other types of students wishing to pursue the MPH degree while earning another degree.

Are there any on-line courses?

Not at this time.

Can I take courses as a non-matriculated student, before formally applying to the Program?

Yes. You may take courses as a non-matriculated student with permission from the instructor. If you plan to eventually apply to the MPH Program, only six (6) credits will be counted towards your degree.

When can students begin the program?

Students will begin the program during the fall semester each year. Medical students will begin the program the summer after their 2nd or 3rd year.

If I am an Upstate Medical University employee do I need to attend MPH orientation?

Yes. All students need to attend the MPH orientation, regardless of whether they are full or part-time or employees.

Is the Program accredited?

The program has been approved by the NY State Department of Education and is accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH).

Can I transfer credits from another graduate program I started elsewhere?

A maximum of 6 (six) credit hours of graduate work can be transferred into the Upstate Public Health degree program. The six credits must be related to public health and must be approved by the program.

Do I need a laptop?

Yes, a laptop is required for all students in the Upstate Public Health program, capable of running SPSS, Microsoft Word, and other programs. In general, laptops that only run basic, web-driven operating systems (e.g. Google Chromebook), or that only run programs from a single source (Microsoft Surface running Windows 10 S, which only allows programs downloadable from the Microsoft store), will not satisfy this requirement. If you have any questions, please consult with Mr. Jeffrey Wessel at wesselj@upstate.edu.

If you receive financial aid and need to purchase a laptop, the laptop expense can be incorporated into your financial aid package. You may contact the Financial Aid Office for information regarding this. (P: 315-464-4329)

What kind of job title can I expect after graduating with a degree in public health?

Job titles, position descriptions, and salary ranges of recent public health graduates will vary greatly based on their course of study and interests. Career titles include

  • Public Health Management Analyst
  • Director of Programs and Services
  • Health Communications Specialist
  • Project Coordinator
  • Environmental Health Intelligence Analyst
  • Research Associate
  • Program Administrator
  • Prevention Specialist
  • Public Health Officer (usually at the federal level)

What Happens After I'm Accepted?

Accepted students are required to submit all required documents, including final transcripts for all college and universities attended, to the Office of Admissions prior to the start of classes. Note that required health documents must be submitted directly to the Student Health Office.  Accepted students must attend New Student Orientation.

Can I defer My Acceptance?

If accepted, individuals may request a deferral for up to one year for personal or professional reasons. Requests must be made in writing and submitted to the Office of Admissions. No extensions beyond the one-year are permitted.