Certificate of Advanced Study in Public Health
Program at a Glance
The Certificate of Advanced Study in Public Health (CASPH) is a 5 course (15-credit hour) program of study. The Certificate Program is organized to offer a continuous integrated core curriculum centered around the public health competencies. The curriculum has been designed to reflect the interrelationship between public health practice and research and designed to train current and future practitioners and researchers in the core public health functions. The abbreviated training allows interested students, who are either unable to complete a master degree, yet interested in augmenting on-the-job training or supplementing an advanced degree with core public health principles and practices, the opportunity to acquire the necessary training to manage public health problems.
Importantly, the curriculum:
- Provides an avenue for interdisciplinary training in public health for health care workers, and degree seeking students;
- Contributes to the on-going efforts to enhance relationships between community agencies by creating opportunity to educate and engage a large community of trained public health professionals;
- Provides professional development opportunity inter-and-intra university; and
- Creates a pathway to the Master of Public Health program for interested students.
Current Upstate Medical Residents who wish to apply to the Certificate of Advanced Study program should follow these instructions:
- Complete the SUNY Upstate Internal Application
- Once logged in, click on NEW - Create a new Application
- Under the "For Current Upstate Students Only" dropdown, you will find "Certificate of Advanced Study in Public Health for Residents-Internal"
To process your application, we will need:
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate schools attended. Transcripts can be sent electronically to email@example.com or by mail to 766 Irving Avenue, Syracuse, NY 13210, Attn: Student Admissions.
- One letter of Recommendation from your current residency program director to be sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to the admissions office at: SUNY Upstate, 766 Irving Avenue, Syracuse, NY 13210, Attn: Student Admissions
- The letter should:
- acknowledge that the residency director knows you are applying for this certificate program,
- describe the commitment of the director to your success in the certificate program, and
- endorse your suitability for graduate study in public health.
- A CV (Curriculum Vitae) or Resume