How to Apply to the Certificate of Public Health Program
Upstate Public Health Master of Public Health applicants must submit both the Central Application Service for Public Health (SOPHAS) application and an Upstate application:
1. Central Application Service for Public Health (SOPHAS) application www.sophas.org
Search for Upstate Medical University Public Health Program
- Two letters of recommendation
- Official College Transcripts
- Personal Statement
- Public Health Essay
2. Upstate Supplemental Application
Once your application is received from the Central Application Service for Public Health (SOPHAS), we will email you a Login ID and PIN that will allow you to access our Secondary Application. Please do not create an account on your own from our Admissions Login page, as that will not allow you to access the Secondary Application. The Secondary Application must be submitted to Upstate Medical University no later than July 1. This application is free to complete!
- The program reserves the right to request interviews.
- Additional information may be requested based on individual situations.
- It is the responsibility of each student to confirm that a completed application is on file in the office of Student Admissions.
Current Upstate Medical Residents who wish to apply to the Certificate of Advanced Study program should follow these instructions:
- Complete the SUNY Upstate Internal Application
- Once logged in, click on NEW - Create a new Application
- Under the "For Current Upstate Students Only" dropdown, you will find "Certificate of Advanced Study in Public Health for Residents-Internal"
To process your application, we will need:
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate schools attended. Transcripts can be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to 766 Irving Avenue, Syracuse, NY 13210, Attn: Student Admissions.
- One letter of Recommendation from your current residency program director to be sent directly to email@example.com or mailed to the admissions office at: SUNY Upstate, 766 Irving Avenue, Syracuse, NY 13210, Attn: Student Admissions
- The letter should:
- acknowledge that the residency director knows you are applying for this certificate program,
- describe the commitment of the director to your success in the certificate program, and
- endorse your suitability for graduate study in public health.
- A CV (Curriculum Vitae) or Resume
Deadline: Resident Applicants should submit applications no later than June 15th to ensure enough time to process the application.