The Department of Medicine provides various benefits and educational resources for each resident. Residents receive the standard Upstate Medical University benefits for Graduate Medical Education trainees. Those include full health & dental plans, malpractice insurance, life insurance, and retirement options.
In addition, the Department of Medicine also offers the following:
4 weeks (20 working days) per year as an R1, R2, and R3.
Free of charge for all current and future claims through NYS Public Officers Law.
Many options available, coverage begins 43rd day of employment.
Two plans—total of $40,000 coverage at no cost.
The parking fee and your parking location will be determined prior to your start date and an assignment will be made during the week of orientation for those who require parking.
Meal money provided when on first call, lunch money provided for Core Curriculum lectures (noon conference).
- Free copies
- Computer lab
- Department library
- Lab Coats: 2 coats provided at start of program, 1 additional coat provided each additional year of training
- $300 educational fund per year for each level of training, including preliminary interns
- Research travel awards for projects through Upstate at Syracuse (subject to departmental approval)
- Reimbursement for presenting at National Conferences
Educational Programs Office
Relocation advice, referrals, INS/ECFMG Liaison, Dean's Office Liaison.
Application Information for Preliminary and Categorical positions
ERAS (Electronic Residency Application Service) applications.
Interview Season—Mid October through early January
- An updated CV and personal statement
- Medical School transcript
- Dean's letter
- Letters from two additional members of the faculty
- ECFMG, USMLE, COMLEX Scores via USMLE or COMLEX transcript
- Valid ECFMG certificate
Additional information is available by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
J1, Permanent Resident, EAD (H1B Visa's will not be sponsored).
We require a "pass on 1st-attempt" for all required USMLE scores, including Step 2 CS. Step 3 is not a requirement to apply to our program, however if a Step 3 score is available, it must reflect a "pass on 1st-attempt" score. Preference is given to those whose files are complete prior to the application deadline.
We require a "pass on 1st-attempt" for all required COMLEX scores. Preference is given to those whose files are complete prior to the application deadline.