This competency is difficult to define by level of training. There are many qualities and characteristics that are fundamental to the practice of medicine. All physicians must be competent. This includes being timely in regard to patient care needs. In work related activities, patient care must always come first. Intrinsic to the competency of Professionalism is honesty. Residents at all levels should be trustworthy and should tell the truth. This includes:
- in reporting and presenting patient communications
- admitting areas of deficiency
The practice of medicine has historically been synonymous with a spirit of compassion and respect for others. A resident's attitude should manifest an interest in helping their patients, demonstrating respect and compassion for all patients and understanding the need for patient confidentiality. Physicians also have a responsibility for the safety and well being of their patients, colleagues and staff. Residents should not be unduly influenced by any outside forces including the pharmaceutical industry, insurers or patientsí families. Under no circumstances should the quality of care, nor the specific care offered, be unduly influenced by these outside forces.
PGY-1 Professionalism Objectives
PGY-1 residents will be expected to adhere to the principles that are outlined above. In addition, residents will participate in the Annual Bioethics Conference and attend Learning To TALK sessions.
PGY-2 Professionalism Objectives
In addition to the above PGY-2 residents will:
- Continue to improve their knowledge with self-directed learning.
- Improve in their ability to deliver bad news.
- Understand the patient care issues involving advanced directives, DNR status, futility, withholding or withdrawing care.
- Show appropriate sensitivity to issues of culture, age, sex, sexual orientation and disability.
- Show concern for the educational development of colleagues and students.
- Provide leadership on teams and throughout the residency.
- Volunteers for activities that are good for the community and the institution overall.
PGY-3 Professionalism Objectives
In addition to the above noted objectives, the PGY-3 resident will:
- Show leadership in improving all of the above noted activities personally and in mentoring that with their colleagues.
- The most experienced resident class sets the tone of the training experience for all residents. It is desirable that senior residents work hard at setting a high standard, enjoy their work, and bring that enthusiasm to their profession.