Percentage of each component and passing scores
- 25% Clinical evaluation by faculty and residents
The student will be clinically evaluated based on the medical schools ten clinical competencies comprising ten Likert items on a 1.0-5.0 Likert scale. The ten competencies are as follows:
- History Taking
- Physical and Mental Status Examination
- Record Keeping
- Oral Presentations
- Fund of Knowledge and Understanding of Disease Mechanisms
- Problem Solving and Clinical Application
- Relationships with Patients
- Professional Relationships
- Attitudes and Behaviors
In order to pass a student must have >3.0 in all individual competencies and individual mean scores must be <2.5 SD below the group mean in at least eight of the ten.
- 25% National Board of Medical Examiners (NBME) exam
A passing grade on the NBME >60 is required for passing the course
- 20% History and physical write-ups
- 10% Formal History and Physical write-up
- 10% Averaged History and Physical write-up and SOAP note grade:The student will have 6 (1/inpatient week) history and physical examination write-ups evaluated by an attending and 6(1/inpatient week) evaluated by a resident as part of their patient/clinical experience tracking. The student will have the evaluator grade these write-ups on a form as provided below and returned to the Clerkship office. The student will have 6 (1/inpatient week) SOAP notes evaluated by an attending and 6 (1/inpatient week) evaluated by a resident as part of their patient/clinical experience tracking. The student will have the evaluator grade these notes on a form as provided below and return it to the Clerkship office. These grades will be averaged and added to the students write-up grade comprising 50% of the write-up grade as outlined in the grading section of the curriculum.
A score of >60% is required to pass the course
- 20% Standardized patient exam
A score of >20% is required to pass the course
- 10% ECG test
Required for Grade: Professionalism reflection
100% A final composite score is derived by summing the results of all of the components listed above.