Mirza Beg, MD
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Clinical Section Affiliations
- Pediatrics: Gastroenterology
- Karjoo Family Center for Pediatric Gastroenterology
Physicians' Office Building
Google Maps & Directions
Suite 504, 725 Irving Ave
Syracuse, NY 13210
Education & Fellowships
- Fellowship: Brown University Rhode Island Hospital, 2004, Pediatric Gastroenterology
- Residency: SUNY Health Science Center at Syracuse, 2001, Pediatrics
- MD: Liaquat Medical College, Jamshoro, Sind, Pakistan, 1989
Gastroesophageal reflux disease, IBD, Celiac disease, EoE
Specialties & Certification
- Pediatric Gastroenterology
Diseases & Conditions Treated
- Abdominal Pain
- Bowel Incontinence
- Celiac Disease
- Chronic Pancreatitis
- Crohn's Disease
- Failure to Thrive (FTT)
- Familial Adenomatous Polyposis
- GI Bleed
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Gastrointestinal and Liver Diseases
- Helicobacter Pylori Infection
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
- Polyps in the Colon and Rectum
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Weight Loss
- Antegrade Continence Enema (ACE)
- Capsule Endoscopy
- Esophageal pH Test - 24-Hour
- Esophageal pH Test - 48-Hour
- Fecal Occult Blood Test
- Feeding Therapy
- Flexible Sigmoidoscopy
- Gastrointestinal Examination
- Lactose and Glucose Hydrogen Breath Test
- Liver Biopsy
- Liver Transplantation
- MRI Enterography
- Nutrition Counseling
- Pediatric Flexible Sigmoidoscopy Procedure
- Pediatric Gastroenterology & Hepatology
- Pediatric Gastrointestinal Examination
- Pediatric Liver Transplantation
- Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy (PEG)
- North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology Hepatology, and Nutrition (NASPGHAN)
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Gastroenterological Association
- Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America (CCFA)
Current Hospital Privileges
- Upstate University Hospital
- Crouse Hospital
Languages Spoken (Other Than English)
- Extubation Failure in an Adolescent Patient after General Anesthesia for Gastrostomy Tube Placement
- Genital Involvement in Pre-Pubertal Pediatric Population: a Rare Aspect of Crohn's Disease
- Unrecognized foreign bodies in the gastrointestinal tract of developmentally delayed children: A case series
- Report of Four Children with Gaucher disease and Review of Literature
- Single Center Experience with Hydroxyzine in the Treatment of Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome
- Case Report: A Physicians Nightmare: Fever of Unknown Origin
- Successful Use of Biliary Duct Balloon Dilator in Repairing Post-Surgical Esophageal Stricture in a Premature Infant
- Pediatric Tourette Syndrome: A Tic Disorder with a Tricky Presentation
Link to PubMed (Opens new window. Close the PubMed window to return to this page.)
ABSTRACT / POSTERS
- Beg M, Shalon LB. Celiac disease in Down syndrome in United States, Oral presentation, NASPGHAN Fellows Research Conference, March 25-28, 2004.
- Karjoo M, Beg M. Use of 16 French Foley Catheter Instead of Digital Rectal Examination for Fecal Occult Blood Test in Infants and Children. SUNY Upstate Medical University, 20th Annual Charles R. Ross Research Poster Session. Poster # 31, Nov 29, 2006.
- Karjoo M, Beg M. Use of 16 French rubber catheter instead of digital rectal examination for occult blood test in infants and children. Presented at Pediatric Academic Societies (PAS) Annual Meeting in Toronto Canada. May 5-8, 2007.
- Karjoo M, Beg M, Kesselring S. Bravo capsule, a catheter free pH monitoring system for evaluation of gastroesophageal reflux disease in Pediatric and Adolescent patients. Poster presentation at Pediatric Academic Societies (PAS) Annual Meeting in Toronto Canada. May 5-8, 2007.
- Karjoo M, Beg M, Kesselring S. Preliminary experience with Hydroxyzine in the treatment of Cyclic Vomiting syndrome. Poster presentation at NASPGHAN Annual Meeting, November 2008 in San Diego, CA.
- Mohanty P, Beg M. "Nasal Septal Perforation: Unusual Manifestation Of Ulcerative Colitis”. Clinical Vignette poster presentation at the NASPGHAN Annual Meeting, October 21-24, 2010 in New Orleans, LA.
- Mohanty P, Beg M. "Alpha 1-Antitrypsin deficiency in a child with Tyrosinemia Type 1". Clinical Vignette poster presentation at the NASPGHAN Annual Meeting, October 21-24, 2010 in New Orleans, LA.
- Beg M., Mohanty P, Karjoo M. CMV associated Menetrier’s disease of childhood. Clinical Vignette poster presentation at NASPGHAN Annual Meeting, October 20-23, 2011 in Orlando, FL.
· Beg M., Ramaswami A. GI Stromal Tumors Often Overlooked As a Differential for Refractory Iron Deficiency Anemia in Adolescent Females. Clinical Vignette poster presentation at NASPGHAN Annual Meeting, October 18-21, 2012 in Salt Lake City,
Utah. JPGN Volume 55, Suppl 1, October 2012
· Karjoo M, Beg M., Ramaswami A. Save our children from Intestinal perforations by removing magnets from Toyshops. Clinical Vignette poster presentation at NASPGHAN Annual Meeting, October 18-21, 2012 in Salt Lake City, Utah. JPGN Volume 55, Suppl 1, October 2012
- Bhamani FI, Elsner G, Beg MB., Lebel RR (2012) Diploid-triploid mixoploidy presenting with gastrointestinal complaints and growth delays. Am Soc Hum Genet meetings, San Francisco. Abstract and poster.
· Beg M., Mohanty P. Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency in a child with tyrosinemia type 1. Poster presentation at 4th World Congress of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (WCPGHAN) November 14-15, 2012 in Taipei,Taiwan.
- Bhamani FI, Elsner GL, Beg MB. Lebel RR (2013) Gastrointestinal manifestations in Diploid-triploid mixoploidy. Clinical Vignette Abstract # 318. NASPGHAN Annual Meeting, Chicago. October 11, 2013.
- Imad Absah, Mirza B Beg. Successful use of Biliary Ducts Balloon Dilator in repairing Post-Surgical Esophageal Stricture in Premature Infant. Clinical Vignette Abstract # 11, NASPGHAN Annual Meeting, Chicago. October 10, 2013.
· Mirza B. Beg, Tasneem Dawood. Pseudotumor Cerebri as a manifestation of Celiac
Disease. Clinical Vignette Abstract # 104, NASPGHAN Annual Meeting, Chicago.
October 10, 2013.
- Luz H. Gutierrez, Mirza B. Beg. Undiagnosed Myasthenia Gravis unmasked by general anesthesia in a patient with persistent weight loss. Abstract # 483, NASPGHAN Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA, October 25, 2014.
· Iman Niami, Mirza B. Beg. Abstract # 139, NASPGHAN Annual Meeting, Washington, DC. October 08, 2015.
- Marium Z. Malik, QurratUl Ann Warsi, Mirza B. Beg. Pediatric Collagenous Gastritis: A Medical Mystery. Abstract # 199, NASPGHAN Annual Meeting, Washington, DC. October 09, 2015.
- Joyce Saliba, Mirza B. Beg. CVS. Abstract # 434. NASPGHAN Annual Meeting, Washington, DC. October 10, 2015.
- Beyond the Doctor’s Research Day. Featuring The Research of Upstate Postdocs, Residents and Fellows. March 09, 2016. Presented 3 posters with residents.
- Sana Ahmad Din, M.D, Farrukh Anwer, M.D, Mirza B. Beg, M.D. A physician's nightmare: Fever of unknown origin. Poster # 119. World Congress of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, Montreal, Canada. October 07, 2016.
- Luz Helena Gutierrez, M.D, Sana Ahmad Din, M.D, Mirza B. Beg, M.D. Single Center Experience with Fructose Malabsorption. Poster # 06. World Congress of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, Montreal, Canada. October 08, 2016.
Clinical Profile Shortcut: http://www.upstate.edu/findadoc/begm
Faculty Profile Shortcut: http://www.upstate.edu/faculty/begm
Faculty Profile Shortcut: http://www.upstate.edu/faculty/begm