Departmental Internships / Affiliating School
For questions related to unpaid internship policy, process, and/or required paperwork, please contact:
Contact: Tracie Wildner, Professional Development Advisor
Phone: 315 464-6125
Email: email@example.com (Unpaid, Non-Patient Care Internships)
Internships are to be set-up by and required paperwork handled by the individual requesting to intern/the department agreeing to sponsor the individual.
The individual requesting to intern must be eighteen (18) years of age or older. If the individual is seventeen (17) years of age or younger they may job shadow for three (3) days or less, visit our Job Shadowing page.
Individuals requesting internships at Upstate Medical University are responsible for directly contacting the department where they would like to intern. Please visit Building Locations and Directions to view building directories in order to find departments, locations, and contact information (click on the building/location of interest, click the 'Services' tab at the top-right of the map).
If an Upstate department/staff member agrees to sponsor the internship being requested, the required education and forms at the bottom of this page need to be completed.
The sponsoring department is responsible for initiating the non-employee request within Self Serve, go to Applications and NonEmployee Management (NEMS). If you have any questions or require assistance completing this process, please contact Payroll Services at 464-4840 or email to StatePR@Upstate.edu.
The sponsoring department is also responsible for ensuring all required education/forms are completed and entered into Self Serve Tracker, health clearance is received, and an ID badge is issued prior to the beginning the internship. If the department is not able to enter the completed education into Self Serve Tracker, a copy of the completed forms should be sent to OTD, JH RM 417 or fax to 4-4400, for entry.
Departments should reference Upstate policies (Intranet ONLY)
- Students seeking a structured, non-clinical academic experience or clinical rotation
- Their home institution has an active affiliation agreement that specifically defines their role with Upstate
- Credit hours are needed
- Students seeking an unpaid internship, where there is no expectation of credit and no affiliation agreement.
- Questions? Contact: Office of Volunteer Programs
To Be Completed by Student Prior to Internship:
- Non-Employee Health Clearance Form (return to Employee Health Office)
- Confidentiality Agreement (return to department/person you are interning with)
- HIPAA Privacy Rule Education and Completion Certificate (return to department/person you are interning with)
- Non-Employee Orientation Guide and Completion Certificate:
- Non-Employee Orientation Guide (All Upstate locations) and Completion Certificate (return to department/person you are interning with)
The Health Clearance form ONLY should be submitted to Upstate's Employee Health Office. Return all other required forms to the department/person you are interning with.
Any approved non-employee hospital visitor expected to be on campus for a period of more than three (3) days must obtain a plastic card-style ID Badge issued by the Payroll Office upon an approved request made through the Non-Employee Management System (NEMS) by the appropriate sponsoring department. Individuals must bring with them an additional form of photo identification in order to obtain an ID badge. When the individual leaves campus service, return the ID badge to Payroll to inactivate. ID badges must be worn at all times. If you have any questions or require assistance completing this process, please contact Payroll Services at 464-4840 or email to StatePR@Upstate.edu.