Exam Announcements Related to Upstate
Please read each announcement for specific exam date and application deadline information. *Please contact Bryant Tyler @ 464-4940 or Lindsay Enderle @ 464-4931 for more information regarding any Civil Service exam.
Decentralized Examination Process
*New exam process for Plant Utilities Assistant (PUA), and Plant Utilities Engineer 1 (PUE) - Please read the exam information below. Candidates interested in the PUA, PUE, as well as the Medical Office Assistant title must submit a New York State Examination Application (NYS-APP) to the Human Resources Dept at SUNY Upstate, for review.
- 20-450, Plant Utilities Assistant
- 20-451, Plant Utilities Engineer
- 20-658 Medical Office Assistant (Please contact Bryant Tyler at 315-464-4940 for information)
New York State Examination Application (NYS-APP)
Open Competitive (open to all qualified individuals):
- 20-794, Service & Repair Mechanic (Motor Equipment
- 26-637 Hospital Patient Services Clerk 1
- 26-638 Nursing Station Clerk 1
Promotional (open to all qualified State employees):
- 10-017, Service & Repair Mechanic (Motor Equipment)
- 38-371, Plant Utilities Engineer 2
- 38-372, Plant Utilities Engineer 3
- 38-373, Plant Utilities Engineer 4
- NYS Exam/Test Guides and Resource Booklets
- CSEA Work Institute e-Learning Center
- Civil Service Test Prep and Job Info
- Participating in an Examination
- New Announcement Issue Notification by E-mail
- Civil Service website
- Exam Links & Schedules
- Employment Opportunities with NYS
Civil Service ExamsMost State classified positions within SUNY Upstate Medical University require candidates to take an exam for that specific job title.
Some of the competitive class positions that require an exam at SUNY Upstate Medical University include the titles of:
- Office Assistant 1 Titles
- Office Assistant 2 Titles
- Hospital Patient Services Clerk 1 & 2
- Secretary 1 & 2
- Nursing Station Clerk 1
- Pharmacy Aide
- Medical Assistant*
- Recreation Therapist*
*Contact Bryant Tyler at 315-464-4940 for information.
Why an Exam?
- Per NYS Constitution, tests measure merit and fitness of candidates for positions
- Examinations give qualified candidates an equal opportunity to compete for the position
- Examinations allow an employee to advance or change careers
- Examinations are based on the job title of the position
- Candidates must meet minimum qualifications for examination
- Test results are usually available in 90-120 days
- Minimum passing score: 70
- Candidates are then placed on an Eligible List for their selected geographic area
Please note: A small percentage of State jobs do not require a competitive Civil Service exam. Positions that do not require an exam include those such as Hospital Attendant 1, Nursing Assistant 2 & Laborer.