If you would like to suggest an employee to be featured in Upstate
Contact: Liz Estera
Phone: 315 464-4401
Jewel Hunter joined Upstate in 1988 as a Nurse’s Aid at University Hospital. She then transitioned to the role of a Nursing Station Clerk on two adult inpatient units. In 2003 she took the position of Patient Service Clerk at the Regional Perinatal Center until 2007, when she accepted a Call Center Team Leader position at Upstate Connect. Within three years she was promoted to Call Center Manager. In her current role, Jewel manages and supports 12 call center representatives who receive approximately 90,000 calls a month. Some of their functions include:
- Initiate all the codes for University Hospital, including fire codes
- Facilitate requests for interpreters
- Register callers for all HealthLink seminars, Upstate special events, and Crouse First Step maternity classes
- Provide after-hours medical answering for the entire surgery department, hematology/oncology, gastroenterology, Med-West Cardiology, and Upstate Pediatrics
- Assist callers with finding health care providers through the physician referral line
- Handle patient discharges in CAIS
- Print admission and discharge notifications from University Hospital to patients’ primary care physicians
- Assist Upstate Connect nurses with the coordination of patient transfers and triage services
When asked what she likes best about her role at Upstate, Jewel replied, “I’ve been given the opportunity to learn and grow here at Upstate. I enjoy the challenge of my position and the team environment that exists at Upstate Connect. My goal as a manager is to provide my staff with support and all the necessary tools for them to succeed and to create a positive work environment that facilitates team work, excellent customer service and growth opportunity.
In her spare time, Jewel enjoys spending time with her family, going out to eat, and traveling, especially to New York City. She is also very involved in her church group working with teenage girls to encourage them to grow and behave like ladies. When asked what she would like people to know about her, Jewel replied, “I am a very enthusiastic and positive person and I truly love my job. I’m very thankful for all the opportunities I have been given. I received my certification as a professional coder thanks to Upstate in 2004. I’m currently working on expanding Upstate Connect’s relationship with other individuals and departments within the Upstate community."
Jewel, we appreciate your positive approach and superb customer service and leadership skills. Thank you for your commitment to excellence and dedication to Upstate.