University Hospital at a Glance:
- 409 Licensed Inpatient Beds, plus 10 observation beds
- 18,071 Inpatient Admissions
- 51,262 Emergency Department visits
- 77 Hospital-based Specialty Clinics
- 202,487 Hospital Clinic Visits
- 225,000 Ambulatory Visits
- 42 Medical Residency Programs
- 472 Medical Residents
- Only Academic Medical Center in CNY
- Level I Trauma Center
- Only Pediatric ICU and
University Hospital Overview
University Hospital in Syracuse is part of SUNY Upstate Medical University and is the only academic medical center in Central New York. Academic medical centers are built around medical schools and research missions.
As a medical enterprise SUNY Upstate serves 1.8 million people, covering one-third of the state. University Hospital in Syracuse is the hub of SUNY Upstate's clinical activities. Half of the nearly 8,000 SUNY Upstate employees are connected to patient care.
University Hospital has long held the distinction of caring for among the most seriously ill and injured in the state. It is a Level-I trauma center and offers the new Golisano Children's Hospital, the region's only children’s hospital.
University Hospital's Joslin Diabetes Center is a NYS Center of Excellence and its Epilepsy Center is a Level 4, the highest designation possible.
University Hospital's New York State Designated Centers include: