Kathleen M Dermady, LM, DNP CNM, MSN NP, 315 464-4458
Clinical Section Affiliations
- Women's Health Network: Obstetric, Gynecology & Urogynecology
- Regional Perinatal Center
Upstate Health Care Center
Google Maps & Directions
3rd Fl., 90 Presidential Plaza
Syracuse, NY 13202
Education & Fellowships
- DNP: SUNY Stony Brook, 2014, Nursing and Midwifery
- Certificate of Advanced Study: Frontier School of Midwifery and Family Nursing, 1996, midwifery
- MSN: Syracuse University, 1992, Maternal Child Health
- BS: University of Maine, 1982, Nursing
A NYS licensed midwife at SUNY Upstate Regional Perinatal Center, and a member of the clinical faculty at SUNY Upstate Medical University; Kathleen combines knowledge, experience, resources, and enthusiasm in providing health care for women with high-risk pregnancies. Dr. Dermady is the director of Centering Pregnancy Special Care for Women with Diabetes. The program was the result of a generous grant from the March of Dimes to provide targeted healthcare, education and support to women with pregestational and gestational diabetes in pregnancy; women at highest risk for adverse perinatal outcome.
Dr. Dermady is a member/vice-chair of the New York State Board of Midwifery, a founding board member of the New York State Association of Licensed Midwives. NYSALM. She is involved in national and state legislative issues on midwifery and women's health, and an outspoken representative for women’s issues in legislative and patient advocacy efforts.
Kathleen earned her Doctorate in Nursing Practice from Stony Brook University, Masters Degree from Syracuse University, and Midwifery degree from Frontier University. Dr. Dermady is a clinical educator for students in midwifery, nursing and medicine at SUNY Upstate Medical University and Stony Brook University.
Kathleen is actively involved in educating health care providers, residents and students about collaborative practice. Working to pass the Midwifery Modernization Act in 2010, she has been instrumental in developing and establishing collaborative practices with NYS licensed midwives and the SUNY Upstate Regional Perinatal Center, providing access to comprehensive care for women choosing to birth in the home.
The Health Foundation for Western and Central NY chose Kathleen for the Health Leadership Fellows 2014- 2016.
Scholarship and research is focused on diabetes in pregnancy with a view to improving quality and safety for mothers and neonates. Her current research was presented at the American College of Nurse Midwives (ACNM) in Denver in April 2014 and at the (New York State Perinatal Association) NYSPA in Albany in June 2014.
She is currently working on a prospective exploratory study of women with diabetes in pregnancy that will be complete in Dec 2014. Recent research efforts are looking at the increasing incidence of adverse complications related to repeated cesarean delivery.
Specialties & Certification
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
Diseases & Conditions Treated
- Contraceptive management
- Gestational Diabetes
- High Risk Pregnancies
- Hypertension in Pregnancy
- Labor and Delivery
- Diabetes Management
- Family Planning Counseling
- Health Maintenance & Clinical Prevention
- Midwife Services
- Women's Health
- American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG)
- American College of Nurse-Midwives (ACNM), Cetrified Nurse Midwife
- New York State Associatin of Licensed Midwives (NYSALM), Founding Board Member
- American Diabetes Association (ADA), Professional Member
Current Hospital Privileges
- Upstate University Hospital
HealthLink on Air Radio Interview
Faculty Profile Shortcut: http://www.upstate.edu/faculty/dermadyk