...if lined up end-to-end, the K-cup coffee pods sold in 2014 would encircle the equator 12.4 times!
Upstate's Sustainability Goals
The Upstate Medical University Sustainability Task Force will lead the in the implementation of these goals:
- To reduce energy use in buildings by 37% by 2010, as compared to 1989-90 on a Btu/SF basis. If the reduction target is not applicable/attainable then achieve an Energy Star Rating of 75 or better on all areas where reduction target is not applicable/attainable.
- Cap greenhouse gas emissions at current levels and reduce emissions 20% by 2014.
- Increase use of renewable electricity (total of purchased and on-site generated) to 305 of total consumption by 2014.
- Increase use of bio-diesel to 10% of total motor fuel usage when available.
- Increase use of bio heating oil to 10% of total #2 fuel oil usage when available.
- Actively research the use of a combined heat and power (CHP) plant at or supporting Upstate.
- Design new buildings and rehab existing buildings in accordance with the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) silver rating or higher.
- Procure energy and fuel at competitive prices while managing price risk in accordance with a prudent, clearly defined, and documented University risk management policy that utilizes financially sound market based products.
- Convert vehicle fleet to alternate/hybrid fuels where operationally feasible through replacement purchases.