Distinguished Guest Speakers
SUNY Upstate students have a standing invitation to the special lectures and presentations on campus. Recent guest lecturers have included:
- Linda Bartoshuk, PhD Member of the National Academy of Sciences; Presidential Endowed Professor of Community Dentistry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Florida
- Paul D. Boyer, PhD Professor Emeritus of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of California, Los Angeles; 1997 Nobel Prize Winner in Chemistry
- Patrick O. Brown, MD, PhD Professor, Stanford University School of Medicine; Associate Investigator, Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Edward Egelman, PhD Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, University of Virginia
- Jeffrey Friedman, PhD Professor, Rockefeller University; Investigator, Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Gary J Gorbsky, PhD WH and Betty Phelps Chair in Developmental Biology; Program Head, Molecular, Cell and Developmental Biology Research Program, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
- Mary E. Hatten, PhD Head of the Developmental Neurobiology Laboratory and Frederick P. Rose Professor, Rockefeller University
- John G. Hildebrand, PhD Member of the National Academy of Sciences; Director of the Division of Neurobiology, Arizona Research Laboratories, University of Arizona
- David Hubel, MD Professor of Neurobiology, Harvard University; Winner of the 1981 Nobel Prize in Medicine
- Pat Levitt, PhD Professor of Pharmacology and Director of the Vanderbilt Kennedy Center for Research on Human Development
- John H. R. Maunsell, PhD Professor of Neuroscience and Ophthalmology at Baylor College of Medicine
- Anne Messer, PhD Professor, School of Public Health, Wadsworth Center, New York State Department of Health and the University of Albany.
- Sir Paul Nurse, PhD President of The Rockefeller University; 2001 Nobel Prize Winner in Physiology or Medicine
- E. Premkumar Reddy, PhD Director of the Fels Institute for Cancer Research and Molecular Biology, Temple University School of Medicine
- David P. Schenkein, MD Associate Professor of Medicine, Tufts University School of Medicine; Vice President, Oncology Clinical Development, Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Phillip A. Sharp, PhD Institute Professor of Molecular Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology; 1993 Nobel Prize winner in Physiology or Medicine
- Avril V. Somlyo, PhD Professor of Molecular Physiology & Biological Physics, University of Virginia
- Peter J. Stambrook, PhD Scientific Director of the Israel Cancer Research Institute Fund; Professor in the Department of Cancer and Cell Biology of the University of Cincinnati Medical Center.
- Robert Stickgold, PhD Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School
Charles R. Ross PhD Research Poster Day: This annual event allows students from all four colleges at SUNY Upstate to share their research findings with each other and with the public.
Biomedical Sciences Research Retreat: This day-long retreat in the Finger Lakes region celebrates research accomplishments at SUNY Upstate with faculty and student presentations and poster sessions.
Neurofest: This two-day event sponsored by the Neuroscience program includes a poster session and symposium featuring neuroscience research from throughout central New York.
SCID-HU Mouse Models Cconference: This annual spring meeting, hosted by the Microbiology and Immunology Department, highlights the latest research utilizing humanized severe combined immunodeficient (SCID) mouse models of viral disease and cancer.