Contact information for
Krystal Ripa (Smith), Assistant Director of Graduate Admissions and Recruitment
Mailing Address: Office of Student Admissions
SUNY Upstate Medical University
766 Irving Avenue
1213 Weiskotten Hall
Syracuse, NY 13210
Telephone: (315) 464-7719, (315) 464-4538, or Toll Free at 1-866-951-5718
Candidates for admission are selected on the basis of their record and qualifications for independent scholarship in a specialized field of study.
All PhD and Masters applicants should have:
- Bachelor's degree or its equivalent
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.00
- Minimum combined GRE verbal and quantitative score of 295. Competitive applicants will have verbal and quantitative scores above 310. A GRE Advanced Subject Test is suggested, but not required.
- Three letters of recommendation from people familiar with your academic record and potential for investigative research. Upon entering their contact information in the application, recommenders will be contacted to submit their letters. Letters can be submitted in word or PDF format but must be on college or business letterhead and signed with pen or electronic signature.
- $40 Application Fee - Credit Cards accepted. (Application Fee Waiver available upon request.)
The current first year class average for undergraduate GPA and combined GRE scores are 3.37 and 314, respectively.
*Students from non-traditional undergraduate programs that do not provide a GPA are encouraged to apply.
Competitive applicants will have completed prior research experience and will have the following coursework OR have majored in a science, technology, engineering, or mathematic field:
- Biology, 1 year
- Mathematics, 1 year
- Chemistry, 1 year
- Physics, 1 year
An official copy of either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is required.
To hear from current, international students in the Biomedical Sciences PhD or Master's programs, please visit our Global Ambassadors Page to speak with one of the SUNY Upstate College of Graduate Studies Global Ambassadors.
If you have previously applied to the College of Graduate Studies and were denied admission, you are welcome to reapply. You will need to submit:
- A new application
- At least one new letter of recommendation
- New transcript if additional courses were taken since last application
- Updated CV
- Update personal statement with additional information describing growth since last time applying
If you applied within the last three years, with your written request, you may use your previous letters of recommendation in addition to the required new letter.
Only GRE's taken within the last 5 years are acceptable
If you are interested in reapplying, please contact Krystal Ripa, the Assistant Director of Graduate Admissions, for a post-advisement appointment. Post-advisement is recommended. Krystal can be reached at (315) 464-7719 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Setting up a phone appointment may be necessary.
>>>See our Frequently Asked Questions regarding Admissions, Stipends, etc.<<<