Stephen V Faraone, PhD
- Distinguished Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
- Professor of Neuroscience Graduate Program
- Professor of Neuroscience and Physiology
Research Programs and Affiliations
- Biomedical Sciences Program
- Center for Neuropsychiatric Genetics
- Center for Psychiatric Neuroimaging
- Medical Genetics Research Center
- Neuroscience Program
- Neuroscience and Physiology
- Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
- Research Pillars
Education & Fellowships
- Post Graduate Training: Brown University, Clinical Psychology
- Postdoctoral Fellow: Brown University, Psychiatric Epidemiology and Genetics
- PhD: University of Iowa, 1982, Clinical Psychology
- MA: University of Iowa, 1980, Clinical Psychology
- BA: SUNY Stony Brook, 1978, Psychology
Psych. Genetics; ADHD and BP Disorder; Endophenotype. For more detail, see CV
Link to PubMed (Opens new window. Close the PubMed window to return to this page.)
Stephen Faraone, PhD, is a Professor in the Departments of Psychiatry and Neuroscience & Physiology at SUNY Upstate Medical University and Director of Medical Genetics Research for the University. He is also Senior Scientific Advisor to the Research Program Pediatric Psychopharmacology at the Massachusetts General Hospital and a lecturer at Harvard Medical School. Dr. Faraone studies the nature and causes of mental disorders in childhood and has made contributions to research in psychiatric genetics, psychopharmacology, diagnostic issues and methodology.
An author on over 700 journal articles, editorials, chapters and books, he was the eighth highest producer of High Impact Papers in Psychiatry from 1990 to 1999 as determined by the Institute for Scientific Information (ISI, Science, 2000, Vol 288, pg 959). In 2005, ISI determined him to be the second highest cited author in the area of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (http://www.esi-topics.com/add/interviews/StephenFaraone.html) and in 2007 he was the third most highly cited researcher in psychiatry (http://in-cites.com/top/2005/first05-psy.html) for the preceding decade.
Dr. Faraone is Editor for the journal Neuropsychiatric Genetics. He is also Deputy Editor for the Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Biostatistical and Methodology Editor for the Journal of Attention Disorders and Associate Editor for Behavioral and Brain Functions. He sits on the Editorial Boards for Biological Psychiatry, and the Journal of Child Psychology & Psychiatry.
In 2002, Dr. Faraone was inducted into the CHADD Hall of Fame in recognition of outstanding achievement in medicine and education research on attention disorders and in 2004 and 2008 he was elected to the Vice Presidency of the International Society of Psychiatric Genetics. In 2008, he received the SUNY Upstate President's Award for Excellence and Leadership in Research. In 2009 he was awarded Alumni Fellow status at the University of Iowa. In 2010 he received the Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activities from the State University of New York.