Information for Healthcare Professionals
Lead CenterPoint Newsletter
Screening Questions for Lead in Pregnancy
- Do you live in a home or apartment built before 1978?
- Have there been any recent home improvements or repairs where you live?
- Were you born or have you ever lived in another country?
- Do you use medicines, cosmetics or spices from another country?
- Do you or someone with whom you live have a job or hobby that could bring you into contact with lead?
- Do you use pottery that was made in another country, painted china or leaded glass?
- Have you ever eaten or chewed crushed pottery, soil, paint chips or other things that aren't food?
Risk Assessment Questions for Children
- Does your child live in or regularly visit a house/building built before 1978 with peeling or chipping paint, or with recent, ongoing or planned renovation or remodeling?
- Has your family/child ever lived outside the United States or recently arrived from a foreign country?
- Does your child have a brother, sister, housemate or playmate being followed or treated for lead poisoning?
- Does your child frequently put things in his/her mouth such as toys, jewelry, or keys? Does your child eat non-food items (pica)?
- Does your child frequently come in contact with an adult whose job or hobby involves exposure to lead?
- Does your child live near an active lead smelter, battery recycling plant, or another industry likely to release lead or does your child live near a heavily traveled major highway where soil and dust may be contaminated with lead?