Child Abuse Statistics
Recent statistics from child protective agencies reported almost 1,000,000 children were victims of substantiated abuse or neglect.
- 58% of the victims were neglected
- 21% suffered physical abuse
- 11% were sexually abused
An estimated 1,400 deaths from abuse occurred
- 86% percent of these fatalities were children under the age of 6.
Sadly, many cases of child abuse go unreported.
Even if cases are reported, they can often be difficult to prove. Several studies suggest that many more children suffer from abuse or neglect than is evident in official statistics. Parents are the main perpetrators of child maltreatment, accounting for 87 percent of all cases.
Some children have broken bones, burns, or bruises. Others have scars that may be hardly noticeable. Many have no obvious outward injuries. Instead they suffer emotionally—often silently and in fear of reprisal.
Statistics from the United States Department of Health and Human Services. Additional information provided by University Hospitals CARE (Child Abuse Referral and Evaluation) Program, Prevent Child Abuse America, and the American Academy of Pediatrics.
If You Suspect Child Abuse
- New York State 800 342-3720
- Onondaga County 315 422-9701
For more information
- National Clearinghouse on Child Abuse and Neglect Information 800 394-3366
- Prevent Child Abuse America 312 663-3520
- National Resource Center on Child Abuse and Neglect 303 792-9900