The Adolescent Medicine Program offers primary and specialty care to patients 11 to 21 years of age. This is a state-of-the-art program in which the psychosocial as well as the physical needs of the adolescent patient are uniquely addressed. Our physicians are particularly well qualified to screen adolescents in order to identify high risk activities and behaviors and to offer appropriate counseling. They are supported by a highly skilled "teen friendly" nursing staff.
We welcome referrals for second opinions or for consultations. Our findings are promptly communicated to the referring physician when applicable. A dietician who specializes in adolescent nutrition is available on site for consultation at the time of the visit.
We also work very closely with physicians in the Department of Psychiatry and have a large referral network of other specialists at University Hospital and Upstate Medical University.
Confidentiality—Confidentiality is provided and protected in accordance with New York State law.
- Anxiety [uneasiness, fear, worry]
- Chronic abdominal pain [stomach]
- Contraception, including Subdermal contraception placements
- Eating disorders
- Gender dysphoria and transgenderism
- Gynecologic problems
- Headaches and migraine variants
- Menstrual disorders [irregular periods]
- Reproductive health problems
- Self-esteem and body image concerns
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- Skin conditions [acne, dermatitis, eczema]
- Stress disorders
- Vaginal infections
- Weight problems
- Behavioral evaluation and counseling
- Comprehensive physicals and preventive exams
- Contraceptive counseling
- Gynecologic exams
- Pregnancy testing and counseling
- Risk-reduction assessment and counseling
- Sports physicals as part of a comprehensive examination
- Substance abuse evaluation and referral