Robert K Kanter, MD
Research Programs and Affiliations
Education & Fellowships
- Fellowship: Children's Hospital National Medical Ctr., Washington, D.C., 1980, Pediatric Critical Care
- Residency: SUNY Upstate Medical Center, 1979
- Internship: SUNY Upstate Medical Center, 1977
- MD: University of Pennsylvania, 1976
- Critically ill or injured children
- Health Services Research; Regionalization of pediatric acute care & hospital care; Preparedness of pediatric hospital resources for public health emergencies; Mass critical care
Specialties & Certification
- Pediatric Critical Care
Diseases & Conditions Treated
- Critical Illnesses and Injuries
- Pediatric Trauma and Critical Care
Current Hospital Privileges
- Upstate University Hospital
Link to PubMed (Opens new window. Close the PubMed window to return to this page.)
Dr. Kanter's research investigates the matching of children's needs and services during responses and recovery from public health emergencies in order to promote the integration of pediatric disaster services into regional systems of care. Recent work includes description of best practices determined in field studies of community responses to disasters  or in communities recovering from disasters ; analysis of publicly available data to assess hospital surge capacity , disaster environmental hazards , and age specific mortality rate as a community recovers from a major disruption ; quantitative modeling studies exploring the potential population benefit of mass critical care strategies [6-9]; and consensus development in pediatric mass critical care operational planning . Dr. Kanter has contributed to disaster mass critical care policy recommendations advisory to the Centers for Disease Control [11-13].
Work in progress includes: analysis of the potential population impact of triage prediction tools for ventilator allocation in pandemics; a national survey of pediatric mass critical care operational disaster planning; and disaster care coordination to enhance access to pediatric health care in communities recovering from major disruptions.
- Kanter RK; The 2011 Tuscaloosa tornado: Integration of pediatric disaster services into regional systems of care. J Pediatrics 2012;161:526-30.
- Kanter RK, Abramson D; School interventions after the Joplin tornado. Prehospital Disaster Med, In press, 2014.
- Kanter RK, Moran JR; Hospital emergency surge capacity: An empiric New York statewide study. Ann Emerg Med 2007;50:314-319.
- Wang Y, Kanter RK; Disaster-related environmental health hazards: Former lead smelting plants in the US. Disaster Med Pub Health Preparedness, In press, 2014.
- Kanter RK; Child mortality after Hurricane Katrina. Disaster Med Pub Health Preparedness 2010;4:62-65.
- Kanter RK; Regional variation in critical care evacuation needs for children after a mass casualty incident. Disaster Med Pub Health Preparedness 2012;6:146-9.
- Kanter RK; Pediatric mass critical care in a pandemic. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2012;13:e1-4.
- Kanter RK; Strategies to improve pediatric disaster surge response: Potential mortality reduction and tradeoffs. Crit Care Med 2007;35:2837-2842.
- Kanter RK, Moran JR; Pediatric hospital and ICU capacity in regional disasters: Expanding capacity by altering standards of care. Pediatrics 2007;119:94-100.
- Kanter RK, Andrake JS, Boeing NM, Callahan J, Cooper A, Lopez-Dwyer CA, Marcin JP, Odetola FO, Ryan AE, Terndrup TE, Tobin JR; A method for developing consensus on appropriate standards of disaster care. Disaster Med Pub Health Preparedness 2009;3:27-32.
- Bohn D, Kanter RK, et al; Supplies and equipment for pediatric emergency mass critical care, Ped Crit Care Med 2011;12:S120-7.
- Christian MD, Toltzis P, Kanter RK, et al; Treatment and triage recommendations for pediatric emergency mass critical care, Ped Crit Care Med 2011;12:S109-19.
- Barfield WD, Krug SE, Kanter RK, et al; Neonatal and pediatric regionalized systems in pediatric emergency mass critical care, Ped Crit Care Med 2011;12:128-34.
Faculty Profile Shortcut: http://www.upstate.edu/faculty/kanterr
Practice/Contact InformationMaps and Directions
Address: 12th Fl., One Children's Circle, Syracuse, NY 13210
Phone: 315 464-6517
Fax: 315 464-9212
Insurance Info: Pediatric Service Group, LLP