- To provide a wide range of developmentally appropriate services, activities and resources designed to reduce stress and promote positive coping skills.
- To provide developmentally appropriate preparation to enhance the child's and family's understanding of medical events.
- To develop supportive relationships with patients and family members.
- To honor and respect the racial, ethnic, cultural and socioeconomic status of families who enter the hospital.
- To bridge the gap between home and hospital by providing familiar activities (such as play, school, birthday and holiday observations) and to support community or school re-entry.
- To work closely with the family and with the healthcare team to minimize the stress of a hospital or outpatient visit and to work together to achieve healthcare goals.