Visitor Guidelines and Hours
Please respect a patient's need for privacy and rest.
Visitor Sign-In Policy
University Hospital and Golisano Children's Hospital require all visitors to present identification, preferably a photo ID, such as a driver's license, as they enter the hospital. Family members and visitors will then receive an ID badge with their name and visit location. This policy underscores Upstate's commitment to ensuring the safety of its patients, staff and visitors.
FastPas patients pick up their passes at the FastPas desk in the main lobby.
- 9:00 am to 9:00 pm: General visiting hours, except for Psychiatry and the Secure Unit of the hospital.
- Number of Visitors: Visitors should be limited by the available space and take into account the needs of the patient and roommate.
- After 9:00 pm: Visitation by family members is limited to two people at a time.
- Children: Children may visit when accompanied by an adult. Adult supervision is required at all times for visitors 14 years of age and younger.
Our uniformed Ambassadors greet visitors and provide visitor passes every day from 7 am to 8:30 pm. Ambassadors are available to help you with your luggage and/or wheelchair; escort you through the hospital; provide parking and hospital information; and assist with hotel accommodations, transportation, e-mail and regular mail, flowers, restaurants, notary public and security.
No Smoking Policy
For everyone’s health, there is no smoking anywhere on the grounds. University Hospital/SUNY Upstate Medical University has been completely smoke-free since August 2005.
Family or visitors may be restricted from visiting for the following reasons:
- Person is acutely ill or running a fever
- Legal documentation restricts or limits visitation
- Patient refuses to see the person
- Person's behavior is unreasonable and disruptive of the functioning of the patient care unit
- Person's behavior creates a risk or threat to patients, families and/or staff
Other limitations apply to:
- Secure Unit
- Emergency Department