Criteria for membership in the Academy of Upstate Educators
Members of the Academy will be individuals who have consistently demonstrated excellence in educational activities. Excellence is defined as being a leader, innovator and/or mentor in the field of education. A leader is someone who is an agent of change and moves the field forward such that student learning is enhanced significantly by his/her influence.
Membership in the Academy is open to all salaried members of the full and part-time faculty who have been on the Upstate faculty, and made significant and sustained contributions to our educational mission, for at least 3 years.
Rights and Responsibilities of Academy members
- Members of the Academy will be able to list Academy membership on all appropriate documents, e.g., CVs, letterheads, grant applications.
- Members will be expected to contribute their expertise on an as-needed basis to support the activities of the Academy. This will require 2-4 hours per month.
- Once inducted into the Academy, membership will be contingent on evidence of contributions to the activities of the Academy.
- Academy members may be granted emeritus status, which would not require further contributions, after 10 years of continuous Academy involvement.
The Nomination Process
- Deadline, June 1st
- The candidate will self-nominate through the submission of an Educator's Portfolio. Please see details in nomination instructions, see link below. Please combine all materials into one PDF document, including: cover letter, CV, letters of support, evidence of excellence, and other supporting education materials and submit by email to Michele Henderson, Assistant to the Senior Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs, email@example.com
- After the deadline for nominations, the Academy will engage in the process of review.
- Up to four (4) new members will be inducted each year.
- Recognition occurs at the Fall Faculty Convocation with presentation of a certificate. A small honorarium is awarded through payroll.