Criteria for membership in the Academy of Upstate Educators
Members of the Academy will be individuals who have consistently demonstrated excellence in educational activities. Excellence is defined as being a leader, innovator and/or mentor in the field of education. A leader is someone who is an agent of change and moves the field forward such that student learning is enhanced significantly by his/her influence.
Membership in the Academy is open to all salaried members of the full and part-time faculty who have been on the Upstate faculty, and made significant and sustained contributions to our educational mission, for at least 3 years.
Rights and Responsibilities of Academy members
- Members of the Academy will be able to list Academy membership on all appropriate documents, e.g., CVs, letterheads, grant applications.
- Members will be expected to contribute their expertise on an as-needed basis to support the activities of the Academy. This will require 2-4 hours per month.
- Once inducted into the Academy, membership will be contingent on evidence of contributions to the activities of the Academy.
- Academy members may be granted emeritus status, which would not require further contributions, after 10 years of continuous Academy involvement.
The Nomination Process
- Deadline, May 31, 2013
- The candidate will self-nominate through the submission of an Educator's Portfolio. (Download instructions below.)
- After the deadline for nominations, the Academy will engage in the process of review.
- Up to four (4) new members will be inducted each year.
- Recognition occurs at the Fall Faculty Convocation with presentation of a certificate. A small honorarium is awarded through payroll.