“Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other.” -John F. Kennedy
Leadership development is woven into many of our programs and collaborations. We strive to provide students with opportunities that will take them beyond the classroom to develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary to be effective leaders in transforming local and global communities. Through involvement in our programs students learn about the community, build interpersonal competence, examine the determinants of health, and engage in collective problem solving to bring about social change.
CCE offers opportunities for students to serve as Service Learning Leaders (SLLs) by working in teams to implement specific signature programs. Service Learning Leaders receive extra leadership training and earn two (2) academic credits for the experience, which may count towards graduation requirements.
Service Learning Leaders (SLLs) are positions within the Center for Civic Engagement and requires a one (1) year commitment. SLLs serve as the liaison between the Center for Civic Engagement, the community partner and the Upstate student body, actively working to implement and support meaningful community-based service and learning. SLLs are assigned to a CCE program based on their interest and availability and are expected to promote their programs in an effort to recruit student volunteers to participate in the programs.
All matriculating students from any of the four colleges are eligible to apply to be selected as a Service Learning Leader.
- Matriculation in any of the undergraduate or graduate programs at Upstate Medical University.
- At least one year of volunteer experience.
- A desire to serve in a leadership capacity.
- A desire to receive leadership training.
- Develop and implement meaningful service projects for student volunteers at specific sites within the community.
- Recruit student volunteers to participate in service projects
- Attend mandatory one (1) hour group supervisory meeting each month for the year (August through May)
- Perform a minimum of (64) service hours at assigned site.
- Promote a culture of inclusivity among student volunteers
For more information, contact us at email@example.com
Here is a list of the current and past Service Learning Leaders/Scholars: