New York State Designated SAFE Site
The Sexual Assault Reform Act, enacted in 2000, significantly expanded the NYS Department of Health's role in addressing sexual assault.
The legislation directs the Department to designate interested hospitals in New York State as sites of 24-hour Sexual Assault Forensic Examiner (SAFE) Programs. These hospitals are centers of excellence for the provision of sexual assault services modeled upon the State's trauma centers.
The Department, in conjunction with an expert work group, has developed standards for certification of SAFE programs, individual sexual assault forensic examiners and training programs for sexual assault forensic examiners. The program and individual examiner standards and certification requirements for the SAFE initiative have been disseminated to all hospitals in New York State.
University Hospital has a contract with Vera House, Inc. to provide SAFE services here.
What does this mean for patients?
- A group of Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners (SANEs) are trained and available to respond to sexual assault victims in Onondaga County
- University Hospital is currently one of two hospitals designated as a SAFE Center of Excellence in Onondaga County
- Of the 211 victims of sexual assault seen by SANE in Onondaga County in 2010, 120 were seen at University Hospital
In an Emergency,
- Adult Emergency Department:
- Pediatric Emergency Department: