About the Student Diversity and Affirmative Action Committee
PhilosophyAs an institution serving to educate future health care providers, it is imperative that the faculty, staff and students of Upstate Medical University are mindful and respectful of the diversity that exists within the Syracuse Community and within the Medical Community as a whole. Diversity comes in many forms: sex, sexual orientation, race, color, creed, age, national origin, disability or marital status. The students at the Upstate Medical University feel that these differences should be recognized, explored, appreciated and celebrated as integral components of medical education and of the practice of medicine.
MissionThe role of the Student Diversity and Affirmative Action (SDAA) Committee is to promote the education of the student body in matters related to Diversity and Affirmative Action. Members of the committee will work together with the faculty and administration to insure that students are given opportunities to expand their appreciation of the importance of cultural awareness and sensitivity throughout their medical training.
DutiesThe Student Diversity and Affirmative Action Committee shall:
- Take necessary and proper steps to educate the medical community on the diversity that exists within it.
- Help to create an atmosphere wherein professional excellence and moral principles can find fullest expression.
- Serve as a liaison and forum for discussion between students and the Affirmative Action Officer allowing concerns and complaints regarding discriminatory acts or practices related to sex, sexual orientation, race, color, creed, age, national origin, disability or marital status to be voiced.
- Serve as a clearinghouse for student concerns related to perception(s) of discriminatory practices and/or mistreatment by peers, faculty or staff.
- The Committee will keep the President's Diversity and Affirmative Action Committee apprised of ongoing initiatives and events and will assist this committee in carrying out its mission.
- The Committee will meet on a monthly basis or more frequently as the need arises.
All students in the Colleges of Medicine, Health Professions, Nursing and Graduate Studies may be members of the Student Diversity and Affirmative Action Committee. The membership will select a chairperson who will serve as an ex-officio member of the President's Diversity and Affirmative Action Committee.