As an F-1 student, you are required to file federal and New York State tax return forms each year, even if you were not employed. Students in F-1 status for less than 5 years should file as non-residents, where as students in F-1 status for more than 5 years should file as residents for tax purposes.

The International Student Advisor is not certified to provide advice on income tax form preparation. Students may wish to consult with a tax preparation service, professional tax accountant, or tax attorney who is trained in nonresident tax law.

Useful Links