College of Graduate Studies
PhD or MD/PhD students enrolled in the College of Graduate Studies are eligible and required to apply for a social security number if they do not already have one, as they are employed by the SUNY Upstate Medical University as a Graduate Assistant.
MS students must have a bona fide offer of employment to be eligible to apply for a social security number.
College of Health Professions, Medicine, and Nursing Students
Students in CHP, COM or CON must have a bona fide offer of employment to be eligible to obtain a social security number.
- If you receive an offer of employment, Please contact Jennifer Abbott, the International Student Advisor (315 464-4604), for assistance to apply for a social security number.
Please have the following information available to provide to Jennifer:
- start date and end date of employment
- job title
- job duties
- Supervisors Name, Department, title, phone number and email address.
- hours per week
- Students must be in the United States and registered in SEVIS for at least 10 days before the Social Security Administration Office will accept your SSN application.
Local Social Security Administration Office
Social Security Administration
Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday; 9:00am-4:00pm, Except Federal Holidays
Address: Federal Bldg 4th Floor100 S Clinton St
Syracuse, NY 13261
NOTE Photo identification is required to enter the Federal Building.
- Social Security
- International Students and Social Security Numbers
- Social Security Number Application Form SS-5
- Replace a Social Security card for an adult