How to Apply — MS Nursing
Current Students who want to apply to another Upstate Nursing Program
Current Nursing Students are not required to submit an application through Nursing CAS. Current students who want to apply to the Associate Degree RN to MS fast track program* or the MS program should follow these instructions:
- Login to My Upstate
- Click on the Home tab
- Click on Apply for Another Upstate Program
- Click on Complete or Update Application
- Complete and Submit Application to the Program of your Choice
*Current students with outstanding pre-requisites are not eligible to apply for the RN-MS program.
Current Upstate students are not required to submit transcripts unless any courses have been completed at another college since the time of your original application. For more information on how to apply, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
How To Apply
Master's applicants must submit both NursingCAS Application and Upstate's Secondary Application:
- Apply Online Through NursingCAS - Completion of the Centralized Application Service for Nursing Programs (NursingCAS)
- Official Transcripts from all colleges previously attended.
- Test Scores from BS degree-level Excelsior College Exams (ECE) used to fulfill admissions requirements. (This applies only to applicants who have a degree in a field other than nursing.) Graduate Record Exams (GRE) are not required.
- Three Letters of Recommendation from faculty, employers and/or other people in a position to judge your potential for graduate study. One letter must be from someone able to evaluate your clinical experience. (Note: Students continuing from the SUNY Upstate BS program are required to submit only one letter of recommendation.)
- RN license, CPR certification
- Application Fee - $65
- Upstate's Secondary Application - Once Upstate receives your application from NursingCAS, a link to our Secondary Application will be e-mailed to you. The Secondary Application must be submitted online to Upstate Medical University along with a $65 application fee no later than March 15. A $65 fee must accompany this application (fee is waived for current Upstate nursing students).
You will be notified of a decision soon after the Admissions Committee reviews your completed application.
Once accepted, you must send a $150 deposit to reserve your place in the entering class. This deposit will be deducted from your first semester tuition. All acceptances are contingent upon satisfactory completion of any college course work in progress.
Director of Master's Program
After becoming an RN with an associate’s degree, Ibrahim Thabet said, “I felt that my journey was not complete. I decided to continue my education at Upstate Medical University because of the school's rich tradition of prestige.
I could not have imagined an easier transition.” Ibrahim achieved his goal of becoming a Nurse Practitioner by earning his bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the College of Nursing.—Ibrahim Thabet, FNP (2010)