AMCAS: Applications must be submitted to AMCAS by October 15.
Upstate: Applications to the College of Medicine must be complete by December 1.
The Admissions Committee is comprised of:
- Basic Science Faculty
- Clinical Faculty
- College of Medicine Alumni
- Local physicians
- Representatives from the Binghamton Campus
- Director of Multicultural Recruitment
- Associate Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid
When the SUNY Upstate Medical University’s Office of Admissions receives a completed application, our staff begins a comprehensive, holistic review. This is done without regard to sex, sexual orientation, race, color, creed, age, national origin, disability, veteran status or marital status. In a holistic review process, we consider the applicant as a whole individual rather than select parts, such as GPA or test scores. In doing so, we evaluate applicants based on who will contribute to the SUNY Upstate Medical University’s academic community in meaningful ways. Holistic review takes into account factors such as a student’s strength of coursework, academic and extracurricular interests, unique talents, background, and personality. By evaluating an application from a holistic perspective, we take the time to get to know applicants as people, not as numbers.
The Admissions Committee considers many factors when selecting applicants, including the following:
- Academic achievement in the sciences, humanities and social sciences
- Volunteer and clinical experience
- Communication skills
- Meaningful experiences dealing with and relating to people
- Motivation for selecting a career in medicine