AMCAS: Applications must be submitted to AMCAS by October 15.
Upstate: Applications to the College of Medicine must be complete by December 1.
Rm. 1217, 766 Irving Ave.
Syracuse, NY 13210
Map & direction
Phone: 315 464-4570
Thank you for your interest in attending SUNY Upstate Medical University's College of Medicine. Each year approximately 160 students enter Upstate's College of Medicine from more than 75 colleges and universities. The College receives approximately 5,000 applications each year. The Class of 2016 has 43% women and 57% men. The average MCAT was 30.75 and the average cumulative GPA was 3.63.
Applications are accepted from U.S. citizens, permanent residents and foreign citizens who have completed at least 90 semester hours of coursework in the United States or Canada at an accredited institution.
The Admissions Committee reviews all applications and uses all available information to determine an applicant's qualifications for the study and practice of medicine. This is done without regard to sex, sexual orientation, race, color, creed, age, national origin, disability, veteran status or marital status.
SUNY Upstate Medical University requires background checks for all accepted College of Medicine students. More information on background checks may be found at the AAMC website.
Required Prerequisite Courses:
- General Biology I & II w/labs
- General Chemistry I & II w/labs
- Organic Chemistry I w/lab
- General Physics I & II w/labs*
- English elective
- Statistics (3hrs)
* While it is recommended, we do not require your Physics courses to be calculus-based unlike other medical schools.
Applicants can apply without having completed all the pre-requisites however, if accepted, it would be on the condition that any outstanding required courses be successfully completed prior to enrolling.
To Complete an Application:
- Submit a verified AMCAS application by October 15th
- Submit Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) scores to AMCAS by October 15th
- Submit the appropriate letters of recommendation to AMCAS
- Submit a SUNY Upstate Medical University Secondary Application by December 1st - once our admissions office receives your verified AMCAS application we will forward you instructions on how to access our secondary application
- Submit a non-refundable application processing fee of $110 by December 1st
It is the responsibility of the applicant to make certain that all materials are received by our office prior to the appropriate deadlines. If an applicant decides to withdraw their application, we do require that they notify our office, in writing, as soon as possible.
SUNY Upstate Medical University will:
- ONLY accept MCAT's taken within the 3 years prior to application
- ONLY consider scores that are received prior to our December 1st application deadline
- Not hold applications for January test scores
- Not re-review an application once the admissions committee has made a decision on an applicant