Faculty Recruitment Initiatives
Governor Cuomo Launches PRODiG Initiative to Increase Faculty Diversity on All SUNY Campuses
March 18, 2019
Guidelines issued to campuses for first of its kind program to attract and retain faculty from underrepresented groups Read more...
COM Faculty Affairs Office is supported by the senior associate dean for faculty affairs and faculty development, faculty appointment specialist and administrative assistant. Faculty Affairs centrally oversees the recruitment and retention efforts for faculty with assistance from Upstate OD&I, SUNY ODE&I, and department chairs.
On February 2019, the College of Medicine Dean's Advisory Committee revised the Departmental Diversity and Inclusion Plan to work in conjunction with the department chairs, department diversity and inclusion advocates, the Office of Faculty Affairs, and Upstate OD&I.
According to the Departmental D&I plan, all COM Department Chairs will select a Departmental Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) Advocate who will oversee that the departmental diversity and inclusion efforts, practices and metrics follow the COM Diversity and Inclusion Policy and Strategic Plan. Selected recruitment activities include:
- Advertise in those media that might reach underrepresented minorities.
- Instruct recruitment firms on the COM elements of diversity for the search.
- Include minority's representatives on search committees
- Completion of AAMC training on implicit bias and minimizing effect on recruitment process by search committee members.
- Review the Department Website to include a Diversity and Inclusion section and reflect a diverse workforce.
- Aim to offer equity in start-up packages.
- Consider utilizing the SUNY ODE&I Diversity Program which administers the Faculty Diversity Program, designed to assist campuses with the recruitment, retention, and promotion of outstanding scholars from different backgrounds, including individuals from groups that have been historically underrepresented in higher education. Under this highly competitive program, state operate campuses compete for salary support and start-up packages to recruit outstanding scholars who have attained a record of distinction. The Faculty Diversity program provides state-operated campuses with a percentage of the faculty member’s salary for three years. Campuses are also eligible to receive up to $15,000 to develop competitive start-up packages for faculty appointed under this initiative.
- Include diversity and Inclusion training for new faculty.
Departments will generate an annual diversity and inclusion report to be presented to the Associate Dean for Diversity and Inclusion and the Dean's Committee on Diversity and Inclusion.