As Dean of the College of Medicine, I am wholeheartedly committed to a lifelong quest for equality. We aim to train physicians so that they can be healthcare practitioners and leaders anywhere. Therefore, they must be as diverse as the communities that they will serve. We value inclusion and are committed to ensuring that our increasingly diverse body of students and faculty/staff experience a sense of belonging and comfort and feel at home at Upstate.
Julio Licinio, MD, PhD
Dean, College of Medicine
We are dynamic on creating a welcoming and inclusive environment for all, we value diversity to enrich our performance, promote innovation and together improve the lives of many.
Zulma Tovar-Spinoza, MD
Associate Dean for Diversity and Inclusion
College of Medicine
At Upstate we continually work to be One University. Our core value is to establish not just a diverse environment but a University that is inclusive. When we all work together as One; innovation, creativity and success follow.
Brian Thompson, MD
Assistant Dean for Diversity & Inclusion
College of Medicine
Dean's Advisory Committee on Diversity and Inclusion
The Dean’s Advisory Committee on Diversity and Inclusion is charged with advancing diversity in the College of Medicine. Specifically, the committee will:
- Periodically review the Diversity and Inclusion Policy, including identification of mission-appropriate diversity categories for medical students, faculty and senior administrative staff.
- Ensure the school has effective policies and practices in place, and engages in ongoing, systematic, and focused recruitment and retention activities to achieve mission-appropriate diversity outcomes among students, faculty, senior administrative staff, and other relevant members of its academic community.
- Review strategies, programs and outcomes related to recruitment and retention of medical students, faculty, and senior administrative leadership from COM-defined diversity categories.
- Review activities related to the administration and delivery of programs (e.g. pipeline programs) aimed at developing a diverse pool of medical school applicants, both locally and nationally.
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness (including outcome data) of pipeline programs and of other programs to support school-defined diversity among students, faculty, and senior administrative staff.
- Conduct an annual review of the progress of departmental diversity and inclusion action plans.
- Prepare an annual report to be shared with university leadership, faculty, and students.
- Align the work of the committee and College of Medicine efforts in advancing diversity with the university-wide Strategic Plan for Diversity.
Departmental Diversity & Inclusion Advocates
|Department||Diversity & Inclusion Advocate|
|Biochemistry & Molecular Biology||Patricia Kane|
|Bioethics & Humanities||Kathy Faber-Langendoen|
|Cell & Developmental Biology||Joseph Sanger|
|Emergency Medicine||Deborah T. Hermann|
|Family Medicine||Anne Root|
|Internal Medicine||Sekou Rawlins|
|Microbiology & Immunology||Donna Welch|
|Neuroscience & Physiology||Mariano Viapiano|
|Obstetrics & Gynecology||Brian Thompson|
|Orthopedic Surgery||Daryll Dykes|
|Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation||Margaret Turk|
|Public Health & Preventive Medicine||Rachel Fabi|
|Radiation Oncology||Michael LaCombe|