MPH Admission Requirements
Applications for Fall admissions begin September 1st each year.
Admission to the CNYMPH program requires...
- An interview, if invited Interview Information
- Minimum GPAs at or above a 3.0 (4.0 scale).
- Minimum GRE test scores at the median (mid 500s on both levels and 4.5 on the analytic or mid 150's verbal, mid 140's quantitative and 4.5 on analytic) or equivalent. See below for GRE waiver equivalents.
- Minimum TOEFL of 600 written exam/250 CBT/100 IBT (revised 1/07) are preferred. Applicants with TOEFL scores between 580/237/92-93 and 600/250/100 may be considered for admission, but they will be required to complete an English Language Assessment Exam upon matriculation and may be recommended into English Language courses to be taken concurrently with their studies.
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution.
- Official transcripts from all previous postsecondary courses.
- Appropriate completion of the admission application.
- Two essays:
- A personal statement of career goals and health-related experience as it applies to public health.
- One public health essay; described in the application.
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals who know you in an academic or professional capacity. This does not include personal friends and family.
- Highly Recommended:
- College level biology course.
- College level statistics course.
- All incoming students to attend new student orientation.
- International students: Applicants who have completed all or part of their education abroad are required to have a course-by-course educational credential evaluation completed by an approved agency accredited by the World Education Services (www.wes.org.)
- A non-refundable application fee of $65.00.
- Medical College test (MCAT), score of 26 or above is preferred
- Dental Admission Test (DAT), score of 17 or above is preferred
- Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT), score of 550 or above is preferred
- Law School Admission Test (LSAT), score of 150 or above is preferred
- Optometry Admission Test (OAT), score of 70 or above is preferred
- United States Medical Licensure Exam (USMLE) step 2 or 3
- Earned a master's degree and has relevant experience in the public health/health care field (must submit full transcript of studies.)
- Earned a doctoral or medical degree from a Council for Higher Education (CHEA) regionally accredited college or university (must submit full transcript of studies.)
For 2013 Interview Dates Click Here
GRE Scores/Waiver Equivalents
Applicants must have minimum GRE test scores at the median (mid 500's on both levels and 4.5 on the analytic or mid 150's verbal, mid 140's quantitative and 4.5 on analytic). The graduate entrance examination must have been taken within five (5) years of the application submission date.
Under certain circumstances, a waiver of the GRE requirement will be considered if the applicant has:
GRE waiver is at the discretion of the CNYMPH Admissions Committee after review of the applicant's full application and substitute exam scores or transcripts. Applicants must be able to supply an official copy of the substitute exam (if applicable.) Proof of current licensure must be submitted for all Allied health professionals.
Applicants who wish to pursue a waiver must submit a letter addressed to the CNYMPH Admissions Committee outlining their request:CNYMPH Admissions Committee
Office of Student Admissions
1215 Weiskotten Hall
SUNY Upstate Medical University
760 Irving Avenue
Syracuse, NY, 13210