Admission Requirements: Physician Assistant
The admission requirements for the Physician Assistant Program are as follows:
- Baccalaureate Degree
- Suggested GPA of 3.0 or greater
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) - The GRE code for SUNY Upstate Medical University is 2547. Official GRE scores must be sent directly to SUNY Upstate. Although there is no minimum acceptable score, candidates are expected to be within the 50th percentile. GRE's must be completed within five years of matriculation.
- 1000 hours of health care related volunteer or employment experience-direct patient care preferred
- Completion of Application
- Completion of Prerequisite Courses
- Prerequisite courses must be completed by the time of matriculation. Students may apply if prerequisite courses are in progress or planned to be completed by time of matriculation.
- An expressed desire to work in rural or medically underserved communities; preference will be given to qualified candidates who originate from these areas.
- Personal interview, if invited. Upstate Medical University uses the Multi Mini-Interview (MMI) process for interviews. The MMI interview process divides the traditional graduate school interview into a series of brief, carefully timed interview stations designed to assess specific skills and qualities by presenting the applicant with a question, scenario, or task. This format provides applicants the opportunity to meet with several interviewers and gives them a chance to interact with students, faculty, and administrators.
- It is strongly recommended that applicants have shadowed or worked with a PA.