Admissions Requirements: How to Apply
Applications Closed for Fall 2019
Applications for Fall 2020 will be available in October
- Minimum MCAT Score of 500 is required to apply
- Baccalaureate Degree
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- International students with 90 college credit hours in the United States or Canada are eligible to apply
- Completion of the medical school prerequisite courses;
|General Biology I & II||8*||General Physics I and II||8*|
|General Chemistry I & II||8*||Biochemistry||3|
|Organic Chemistry I||4*||Writing/Composition||3|
*Science Courses must include a lab.
Prerequisite requirements may be subject to change. Updates can be found at
- Official College Transcripts
- Applicants are required to submit official transcripts from every college attended or every college from which they have received credit. If your college transcripts are not in English, or not in the same grading system as the United States, you will need to get a translation and a course-by-course educational credential evaluation completed by an approved agency.
- Two letters of recommendation from those familiar with your potential for medical school
- We recommend that at least one letter be from a science faculty member, the others should be from someone who knows you in an academic or professional capacity.
- Personal Statement
- Curriculum Vita/Resume
- Admissions interview, by invitation only
- Students must complete the SUNY Upstate Medical University Application($65 fee)
- Medical Scholars Medical School Preparation MS Program
Letters of recommendation, official transcripts and test scores should be sent to:
SUNY Upstate Medical University
Admissions & Financial Aid
766 Irving Ave.
Weiskotten Hall 1213
Syracuse, NY 13210
Historically disadvantaged and underrepresented students in medicine are strongly encouraged to apply.
Incoming students will be required to undergo a background check after being admitted, and prior to enrollment at SUNY Upstate. All admissions are conditional until background check results are obtained and reviewed by SUNY Upstate.
*Those who have applied to Upstate College of Medicine, MD Program within the past two cycles are able to request that the following materials be transferred to the MedPrep application for review;
- AMCAS Application
- Letters of recommendation
Former MD applicants are required at minimum to have at least one (1) new letter of recommendation, new personal statement and updated CV/resume to apply to the MedPrep MS Program. Requests to transfer materials must be made to email@example.com before the application deadline of May 1st.