Mission and Goals
The primary mission of the Department of Respiratory Therapy Education is to train, educate and graduate competent entry-level respiratory therapists who then earn the RRT credential from the NBRC1 following graduation.
Goal: Students will demonstrate clinical competence
- Students will demonstrate clinical competence/best practices in both diagnostic testing and therapy delivery.
- Students will demonstrate entry-level knowledge and clinical judgment by passing the NBRC Entry Level Examination on the first attempt.1
- Students will demonstrate advanced-level knowledge by passing the NBRC Written and Clinical Simulation Examinations on the first attempt. 1
- Employers will report all graduates as competent in entry-level tasks according to CoARC Guidelines.2
- Employers will report graduates as competent in entry-level tasks
Goal: Students will demonstrate knowledge in leadership, research and education
- Demonstrate knowledge of research through academic work in the research process and independent study.
- Demonstrate knowledge of leadership and management through academic work and independent study.
- Demonstrate knowledge of teaching/education through academic work and independent study.
Goal: Students will demonstrate effective communication skills
- Successfully demonstrate various effective communication skills in all clinical settings including simulation.
- Demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills in the classroom and laboratory settings.
Goal: Students will demonstrate critical thinking and problem solving skillsLearning Outcome
- Students will develop an effective respiratory care treatment plan.
- Students will use critical thinking & problem solving skills effectively in clinical situations.
- Students will evaluate & analyze peer-reviewed, evidence-based literature and apply their assessments, conclusions and theories to clinical practice.
Goal: Students will demonstrate professionalism and ethical behaviorLearning Outcome
- Students will demonstrate professionalism according to the AARC3 and ethical behavior in the clinical setting.
- Students will demonstrate a commitment to continuing education and professional service.