Your First Visit
We would like to take this opportunity to welcome you and provide you with some information about what you can expect during your first visit.
What to Expect
Please allow at least 1½ hours for your first appointment, which is usually a consultation. You will meet with a physician and other members of your treatment team to discuss the best treatment options available for you and determine the recommended course of treatment. For your convenience, we will request radiology and laboratory results and other information from your referring physician prior to your visit. This information will be reviewed by your Upstate Cancer Center physician before you arrive.
What to Bring with You
In order to serve you better, please bring the following information with you on your first visit:
- Download the Medical History Form . Please complete the form and bring it with you on the day of your appointment.
- Insurance cards
- Employer's name, address and phone number, if you are covered under your employer's insurance program
- Advance Directives ("living will") if you have one
- Referring physician’s name, address and phone number
- List of medications you currently take (including over-the-counter medicines)
- Parking ticket for validation
What to Do
- It is helpful for you to research the type of cancer you have before your appointment. We have put together information about the types of cancer we treat and lists of additional resources in the Cancer Types section. Being informed will help you to make choices about your treatment options.
- Write down any questions you may have and bring them with you.
- You can find out more about your physician by going to Find a Doctor.
- We encourage you to bring a family member or friend with you to help listen and take notes during your appointment.
- If you need translation services or interpretation for the hearing impaired, just let the appointment scheduling staff know when you call. We'll be happy to accommodate you.
We hope this information is helpful in preparing for your visit. Each member of the Upstate Cancer Center team is committed to providing you with the highest quality of medical care in a supportive environment to help you through your treatment experience.
If you have any questions about these materials or your upcoming appointment, please call 464-HOPE (4673) to speak to a member of our team.