Amy E. Caruso Brown
Amy E. Caruso Brown, M.D., MSc, MSCS, is an Assistant Professor of Bioethics and Humanities and Pediatrics.
She received a B.A. in cognitive science and Middle Eastern studies from the University of Virginia (2002), an M.D. from Emory University (2008), an M.Sc. in medical anthropology from Oxford University (2008), and an M.S. in clinical research from the University of Colorado (2014). She also completed residency training in general pediatrics (Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, 2008-2009; University of Colorado, 2009-2011) and fellowship training in pediatric hematology/oncology (University of Colorado, 2011-2014).
Dr. Brown is the Co-Director of Foundations of Reasoning in Medicine, a required course for first- and second-year medical students, and also teaches in the Center's Physicians and Social Responsibility elective courses. She serves on the College of Medicine Curriculum Committee and the Upstate Institutional Review Board. She also sees patients at the Center for Children's Cancer and Blood Disorders and at Golisano Children's Hospital.
Her current research interests include the impact of social media on trust and communication between physicians and families; racial, ethnic, and cultural disparities in approaches to treatment refusal; methods of assessment in ethics and professionalism education; and the effects of the current political climate on the provision of ethical health care to diverse populations.
- Procedure-specific preoperative red blood cell preparation and utilization management in pediatric surgical patients.
Schmotzer CL, Brown AE, Roth S, Johnson J, Ines-Castillejo M, Reisner A, Hillyer CD, Josephson CD.
Transfusion. 2010; 50(4):861-7. PubMed [journal]PMID: 20003058
- "Ghosts in my body": Seizure-like presentation of hypocalcemic tetany secondary to hypomagnesemia in a patient receiving cetuximab therapy for metastatic medulloblastoma.
Kidwell KS, Kopp WE, Albano EA, Brown AE.
Journal of pediatric hematology/oncology. 2014; 36(4):305-7. PubMed [journal]PMID: 23426003
- Reported availability and gaps of pediatric palliative care in low- and middle-income countries: a systematic review of published data.
Caruso Brown AE, Howard SC, Baker JN, Ribeiro RC, Lam CG.
Journal of palliative medicine. 2014; 17(12):1369-83. PubMed [journal]PMID: 25225748 PMCID: PMC4268583
- Family-centered care and evidence-based medicine in conflict: lessons for pediatricians.
Caruso Brown AE.
Hospital pediatrics. 2015; 5(1):52-4. PubMed [journal]PMID: 25554760
- Pharmacokinetics and safety of intravenous cidofovir for life-threatening viral infections in pediatric hematopoietic stem cell transplant recipients.
Caruso Brown AE, Cohen MN, Tong S, Braverman RS, Rooney JF, Giller R, Levin MJ.
Antimicrobial agents and chemotherapy. 2015; 59(7):3718-25.
PubMed [journal]PMID: 25733509 PMCID: PMC4468698
- Incidence and consequences of varicella in children treated for cancer in Guatemala.
Brown AEC, Asturias EJ, Melgar M, Antillon-Klussmann FA, Mettler P, Levin MJ.
World journal of pediatrics : WJP. 2016; 12(3):320-326. PubMed [journal]PMID: 27351567
- Finding Faith in Skepticism and Symbolism in Science.
Caruso Brown A.
Narrative inquiry in bioethics. 2016 December; 6(3):159. My Bibliography [journal]
- Choosing to Care for Children Who Might Die: Conversations with Pediatric Residents.
Perspectives in biology and medicine. 2017; 60(2):247-257. PubMed [journal]PMID: 29176086
- "Being Persistent without Being Pushy": Student Reflections on Vaccine Hesitancy.
Caruso Brown AE, Suryadevara M, Welch TR, Botash AS.
Narrative inquiry in bioethics. 2017; 7(1):59-70. PubMed [journal]PMID: 28713146
- Should Clinicians Intervene If They Suspect That a Caregiver Whose Child Has Cancer Is at Risk of Psychological Harm?
AMA journal of ethics. 2017; 19(5):493-500. PubMed [journal]PMID: 28553907
- From Silence into Language: Questioning the Power of Physician Illness Narratives.
Brown AEC, Garden R.
AMA journal of ethics. 2017; 19(5):501-507. PubMed [journal]PMID: 28553908
- Making a Safe Space Possible.
Caruso Brown AE.
Academic pediatrics. 2017; 17(4):343-344. PubMed [journal]PMID: 28323245
- Ringed sideroblasts in β-thalassemia.
Cattivelli K, Campagna DR, Schmitz-Abe K, Heeney MM, Yaish HM, Caruso Brown AE, Kearney S, Walkovich K, Markianos K, Fleming MD, Neufeld EJ.
Pediatric blood & cancer. 2017; 64(5). NIHMSID: NIHMS919930 PubMed [journal]PMID: 27808451 PMCID: PMC5697724
- Porous Boundaries.
Caruso Brown AE.
JAMA. 2017; 317(24):2487-2488. PubMed [journal]PMID: 28655020
- Using Student Reflective Narratives to Teach Professionalism and Systems-Based Practice.
Welch TR, Brown AC, Botash AS.
The Journal of pediatrics. 2017; 187:5-6.e1. PubMed [journal]PMID: 28526218
- At the Intersection of Faith, Culture, and Family Dynamics: A Complex Case of Refusal of Treatment for Childhood Cancer.
The Journal of clinical ethics. 2017; 28(3):228-235. PubMed [journal]PMID: 28930710
- Refusal of Treatment of Childhood Cancer: A Systematic Review.
Sharma A, Johnson LM, Caruso Brown AE, Unguru Y, Lantos JD. Pediatrics. 2017; 140(6). PubMed [journal]PMID: 2914662
18. Should a Teenager Be Allowed to Leave the Hospital AMA to Attend His Father’s Funeral?.
Kania T, Schafer M, Brown AEC, Olick RS, Lantos JD.
Pediatrics May 2018, 141(5): PubMed[journal]PMID:29626163
- Extravagant Gift From a Grateful Patient. Johnson S, Johnson LM, Brown AEC, Unguru Y, Lantos JD Pediatrics. 2018 Jun;141(6). pii: e20172837PubMed[journal] PMID: 29728430